Keyless issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
pg562

Post by pg562 »

I took delivery of my Nissan Pulsar Tekna just over a year ago. Unfortunately, since then, the car seems to have spent more time in the dealership due to electrical problems than at my house.

My latest problem is with the keyless system. Most days, the car refuses to unlock using the door handles or keyfob button. When I eventually get into the car, it then refuses to start up and shows a "System malfunction" or "Key ID error". Both keys have the same problem. This happens at lots of different locations, but seems to happen mostly at home after the car has been left overnight. I have had to set my alarm clock 15 minute earlier so I can get the car started!

The dealership have asked me to try various things, including not putting the key in my pocket and not using a metal keyring, but this hasn't solved the problem.

I have read about similar issues on the Qashqai, but is anybody else experiencing this problem in the Pulsar please?

dagger

Post by dagger »

my wife has the same issue, but only happens now and again, i told her that she needs to goto the dealership and get the key recoded.
pg562

Post by pg562 »

dagger wrote:my wife has the same issue, but only happens now and again, i told her that she needs to goto the dealership and get the key recoded.
Interesting! Unfortunately, recoding the key did not solve the problem. The dealership are now replacing both keys and the body control module in the hope that it fixes it :?
Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 »

was the battery in the fob changed ? as it happens mostly at home, are you living near a strong transmitter of some sorts , especially a high powered radar? I ask because a Toyota I had refused to start near a radar station near Dover unless the radar antenna was pointing away from the car. It was overpowering the immobiliser. A High powered transmitter can overpower the keyfob receiver even though it may be operating on a totally different frequency. As it happens after an overnight break, is the battery in the car failing ? Very possible as the stop start system can put heavy strain on it, and a overnight break will have further drained what charge it has left .
pg562

Post by pg562 »

Quasar9 wrote:was the battery in the fob changed ? as it happens mostly at home, are you living near a strong transmitter of some sorts , especially a high powered radar? I ask because a Toyota I had refused to start near a radar station near Dover unless the radar antenna was pointing away from the car. It was overpowering the immobiliser. A High powered transmitter can overpower the keyfob receiver even though it may be operating on a totally different frequency. As it happens after an overnight break, is the battery in the car failing ? Very possible as the stop start system can put heavy strain on it, and a overnight break will have further drained what charge it has left .
Yes, the battery in both keyfobs have been changed, but it made no difference. I'm not aware of any transmitters in the area. I've had other keyless cars (433MHz) and have never had a problem.

Coincidentally, I am having problems with the stop/start system where I keep getting "system malfunction" messages on the screen. The garage have tried to fix the stop/start issues by replacing the clutch interlock switch, but it hasn't worked. Your theory is therefore very plausible, thanks!

I have actually taken steps to reject the car now because I am fed up of the continual problem with it. It has been off the road for two weeks now and I am getting nowhere.
pg562

Post by pg562 »

The garage have replaced both keys and the body control module, but they can't get it working. They've ordered in a new engine control module to see if that works :(
pg562

Post by pg562 »

My car is still in the dealership, but my lease company have agreed to allow me to reject the vehicle due to all of the problems that I have had.

Onwards and upwards! Good luck with your Pulsars and I hope they keep you motoring for many years to come :)