Engine "throttling" during acceleration

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
McGregor

Post by McGregor »

Hello to everyone.

On beginning of this year I bought a new Nissan Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T Tekna, and I have a problem with engine while I do the acceleration on second gear. After the engine will get hot (on cold one, the issue in not existing) during acceleration only on second gear (while do this a clutch pedal can not be touched) and crossing engine speed around 2300 (turns on minute) there is a sensible throttling of engine for maybe half of second. On others gear the issue is not so sensible.
Service checked turbocompressor, updated software and problem is still. They don't know what to do next..

Did someone have some similar problems? Where is the issue?

Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 »

unusual, this is more of an issue in first gear; hesitancy, although there is a hint of it in second . I am beginning to suspect that this is a fuelling problem. If the turbo is spinning down , because you have lifted the throttle, the fuel injection is restricted to lower hydrocarbon emission, and the engine hesitates as a result. I have a software update during my first service that greatly reduced this.
McGregor

Post by McGregor »

Yes, maybe you are right about correct software update. I will speak about that with technicians.

In my opinion this car is also "too heavy" in acceleration I mean it is needed to push more gas pedal to drive smoothly.
I saw also that fuel usage is higher about 15% then in other Nissan Pulsar's which I had pleasure to use before (with the same engine). Maybe it is because it new car with low mileage (1000 miles)..
Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 »

I did an experiment on a few cars to prove that small capacity turbo engines,( like the one on pulsar) , are near impossible to hold at a steady revs until the turbo is producing a useful level of boost ; on this car around 2000 rpm.

You can try this yourself; try hold the rpm anywhere between idle (950 RPM, warm) and 2000 RPM. It's near on impossible . This makes steady progress difficult.

On non turbo petrol cars, holding any RPM is easy and not too difficult on large capacity diesels with turbo.

To put it simply its a chicken and egg game between the turbocharger and the fueling system, each relying on the other .