Engine replacement needed!!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Faulkon

Post by Faulkon »

Hi,

I know this forum isn't very active but I'm hoping to get some assistance.

I have a Nissan Pulsar N-Connecta Dig-T - 2016 and broke down a few days ago. I have been told I need a new engine and it will cost approx £5,500.

I have spoken with Nissan direct and read many pages/threads of issues with 1.2 engines. Classic issues of guzzling oil and then engine management light with "system failure" and stop/start has failed.

Nissan are saying tough luck essentially but I am confused as to why there has been no recall on these given they themself have said this is an issue they are aware of and have had to work on many of them over the last few years.

Has anyone had any luck of getting any help from Nissan at all?

They told me to raise a complaint, which I have done, but the complaints team are saying this is wear and tear which seems ludicrous.

Does anyone have anything that may help or am I chasing a lost cause and it is indeed tough luck?

Thank you in advance for any replies I get

Ps: I don't have Facebook so can't join the forum that someone mentioned is more active so please send on if possible.

TB1

Post by TB1 »

Hi I have a Nissan 1.2 Pulsar
Last week lost engine power on the motorway
Have spoken to a few garages who think:

Best case scenario- Valves burnt out
Remove & recondition cylinder head
Fit new Head Gasket
Fit new Timing Chain
£800 approximately

Worst case--Piston rings worn
Full engine rebuild £2K

Let's see what happens !
Faulkon

Post by Faulkon »

£2k seems reasonable. I was quoted £4000 from another garage.

The annoying thing is the Nissan employees themselves have said they are aware of these engines and there is a fix but they haven't seen them for a while.

Hope it all works out for you.
TB1

Post by TB1 »

I sent an email to Andrew Humberstone MD Nissan UK
advised by his assistant to take to local Nissan dealers for dealer diagnostic check. Towing it there and £120 for check down to me.
Waste of time & money you think ?
Nissan have to acknowledge it's a manufacturing fault before they'll consider compensation
type-r

Post by type-r »

Hi chaps,

Any update on your issues?

Am considering purchasing a 1.2 DIG-T Pulsar Tekna (mainly as it so cheap to insure AND tax and comes with some great options as standard) + you don't see many of them on the road either. However, after doing some initial research seems like there are a lot (!!) of timing chain issues with this car... timing chains rattling under load, being stretched and of course snapping. I've always been under the impression that timing chains never needed replaing (in theory) - perhaps the occasional tightening. I'm no expert though and reading these posts has seriously put me off.

Apperciate I'm looking only at one topic but having a quick scour around the net, timing chain issues seems to crop up a lot. How common are timing chain issues with these cars and what should I look for/hear out for when test driving this car?

TIA.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

What reg / year are you looking at? The problems seem to mainly affect those up to 2015.
type-r

Post by type-r »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking at an early 2017 model. Do you know what Nissan did to correct the issue? Different pulleys, stronger chains? Something else? Or nothing!?

Probably should create a new topic but what top 3 items should I look for when viewing the car?

Reading this forum, seems like Start/Stop has some issues, timing chain noises under load... anything else specifically?
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I've not had any engine problems and mine is 66 plate 1.2. There are two things that irritate me.

1. Stop/Start which seems to work or not work for no obvious reason. I used to drive the same route, at the same time of day, every working day and there was no pattern to whether it activated or not. I actually switch it off every time I get in the car. Unfortunately there is no way I'm aware of to permanently deactivate it.

2. Automatic wipers. Put simply they don't work. I've had the wipers start when the car in front has sprayed their windscreen, and not come on at all when it is absolutely chucking it down. The chosen setting makes no difference whatsoever.
type-r

Post by type-r »

Thanks that's useful and very funny re: wipers when somone else sprays their car (though not for you!).

Can I ask how long you've owned your car and roughly how many miles per year you drive? You tend to hear the scare stories more than than the real stories and focus more on the former, so good to know your ownership has been a positive one on the whole. I'm sure there are 100's of others too especially given Nissan's reliability reputation.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Owned from new and has 46k miles on the clock. I'm getting well over 50 mpg on a decent run. I wouldn't put too much on Nissan's reliability reputation. They are now owned by Renault and it has a Renault engine. I didn't realise that when I bought mine and had owned 5 Nissans of various types and hadn't realised it was effectively a reskinned Renault. To be honest I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had known.