Auto wiper problem.

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
kt53

Post by kt53 »

The apparently random way in which the auto wipe operates, or doesn't, is really starting to irritate me so I did a quick search on the problem. I found a topic on the Qashqai form, started in 2014, about exactly the same issue. https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtop ... f=29&t=922

It would seems that Nissan really don't give a toss about this kind of issue when it is still apparent on cars purchased 3 years later.

nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

I can't say that I've noticed any difference in the Pulsar to any other car I've had with auto wipers over the last 15 or so years. If I start the car with the screen covered in water, they either sweep straight away, or within a few feet of moving off the drive.

Only issue I've ever had was the auto wipers on my convertible used to stay on fast all the bloody time on occassions. I worked out this was because somehow drops of rain were "sticking" for want of a better word on the sensor patch. Treating the screen with Rain-X cured that.
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

I agree, the wipers are hit and miss in auto mode. either dont swipe often enough, or go mental!!

I wa thinking the other day, I wonder what it would take to 'convert' them to intermittent adjustable wipers. At the end of the day, there is a rain sensor that picks up the fact that there are droplets on the screen. I wonder how this is fed back to the controller to determin if its raining... IE could a some sort of module or even a resister be installed to make the car think that its raining at a consistant rate all the time so the controller becomes an always on intermittent control.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

SplanK wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:08 pm I agree, the wipers are hit and miss in auto mode. either dont swipe often enough, or go mental!!

I wa thinking the other day, I wonder what it would take to 'convert' them to intermittent adjustable wipers.
Your experience is the same as mine. I've had situations where it's like looking through frosted glass and the wipers don't move, and situations where there is barely any rain and they are flying backwards and forwards as if their life depends on it. I would love to be able to convert to manual intermittent operation. I haven't had a car with auto wipers before so can't compare. If the way they work on my car is normal, they're about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
One of the suggestions in the topic I linked to was to set it at around the mid point. I did that late on today and it does seem to give a better result. It shouldn't be necessary to P about with them to get useful timings.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

The QQ seemed a little better to be honest compared to the Pulsar, but not by much! If I ever get some time, I will see if I can do some digging on how the sensor feeds back to see what can be done.... but dont hold your breath on that one... I have been meaning to wash my Pulsar for the last 3 months lol!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Just wondering if anybody has managed to solve the problem of the useless Auto wipers? Out today, and although the setting is the same as it's been for months, when it seemed to at least be consistent, I'm back with peering through frosted glass even in the P***ing rain. The only way to get a regular intermittent wipe is to switch the wipers off and nudge the stalk when I need the screen wiping. Not a great solution, and one which will inevitably cause more wear to the switch mechanism and probably cause it to fail - after the warranty has expired.
danielk

Post by danielk »

My model pulsar dosnt have these auto wipers
But ive notice that my back window wiper gos a bit mad from time to time
Thought it came on when i put the car into reverse for one wipe?

But only happens every now and then