X-tronic increase revs, takes off by itself

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Swe

Post by Swe »

Got a very unpleasant experience last week. Pulsar with X-tronic gearbox, suddenly increased revs and took off by itself. I had to brake very quickly in order to get the ride stopped. At the same time I´ve got warning on engine, start/stop and autobrake system. I manage to reproduce this fault a couple of days later. Why is this happening?? My teori is that there is no fault on hardwares, the fault is in the software programming. When you drive and push the brakes a command is send to engine in order to reduce revs to idle, This regardless if you still activate the throttle. This seems to be in order. But some times, when you release brakes again, the previous throttle command activates and the car takes off again. This is what happened to me.

The issue is, why do I want to brake and push the throttle at the same time?? Well, one typical drivers benefit with automatic gearbox is hill start, you shift foot on brake pedal and use the right foot to increase revs. I my case I have a method of reduce rust on brake discs after washing the car. I drive at very low speed, brakes just a little together with increase revs in order to warm up the discs and get rid of water. It is under this manouver the car goes bananas!!!

Read about an accident in UK when an older womans Qashgai took off and killed a citizen. Nissan claimed at the Court that the car had no fault indication.... ofcourse... the car did what the software told it to do, no fault recording. BUT what if software logic is wrong due to bad programming??
That should explain the problems with my car.

Would be interesting if someone else can duplicate this problem and help me convince Nissan to solve this. My Nissan HQ denies any knowledge of such a problem... Just remember what happened to Toyota in USA when several were killed due to misstakes by the manufacturing company, so I understand why Nissan want to cover it.

I just want to inform about this and send a warning to all you X-tronic owners.

bartw

Post by bartw »

I have had an issue twice recently. While travelling at low speed, then accelerating hard to overtake, the car accelerated, red-lined and the rev limiter kicked in but the car would not engage a higher gear. Ended up having to lift off the throttle slightly before the car would gear up.... Starting to wonder about this gearbox.
2015 1.2 X-Tronic
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Have either of you been to the dealership about the problem?
Swe

Post by Swe »

Yes, contacted both workshop and Nissan HQ Sweden about this. No real interest from anyone to dig in this. Also written to a car magazine. To be continued...