LED Headlights just too bright!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
af158

Post by af158 »

I've had my 15 plate Pulsar N-tec diesel for nearly 3 years now and cant fault it apart from its excessively bright headlights.
Does anyone know if there is any way that the LED bulbs can be changed to halogen or failing that, could the headlight unit be replaced altogether? I have asked a Nissan dealership and my local garage but they say it cant be done. I am seriously thinking about changing my car if I cant get the headlights replaced as I cant bear another winter with every other oncoming car flashing at me when I have my dipped headlights on (thinking I've got my main beams on), or cars slowing down in front of me with hazards on to indicate I am dazzling them with my lights.
Can anyone help please?

kt53

Post by kt53 »

If the lights are dazzling people they must either be wrongly set, or the lamps themselves are faulty. There was something on TV in the past couple of days about 1000s of fake headlight bulbs coming in from the Far East which have bad light patterns. The light is going too high and too far across. Could that be your problem? Although the dealership should pick up on that when checking and adjusting them.
I haven't seen the problem you report being mentioned by anybody else so it wouldn't seem to be a design issue.
af158

Post by af158 »

As the dealership and local garage said there was nothing wrong with them, I assumed it was just the brightness of the LED lights that were dazzling people (I do notice that some Audis and BMWs have very bright, blue white headlights too). If you think that it sounds like they have been set up wrong, I may persevere with the dealership and insist that they adjust them until they are safe (I'd just convinced myself that the only option was to get them changed for basic halogen ones if that were possible).
af158

Post by af158 »

I have been reminded by my other half that after getting the Pulsar in the winter of 2015, there was a recall in the spring of 2016 as there was a fault with the Headlight Auto Levelling System and we took it into get it seen to. I don't remember the winter of 2015 having anyone flashing me but the next 2 winters were a problem (I dread the clocks going back, I drive to work and back in the dark). I am now wondering after kt53 commented that the lights may be "too high and too far across" whether the dealership incorrectly positioned them then?! Any comments please?