Could I be about to join the oil problem gang ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

March 2017 1.2, 9500 miles on the clock. Noticed a ticking/clacking sound and I remember a member on here saying that was a sympton. Checked the oil and not enough left in there to fry an egg - less than 4000 miles after a service.

Nissan very kindly chucked 2.5 litres in "to keep you going" and it's booked in for the full diagnostics tomorrow. I didn't really have to go into much detail and straight away they are talking about a new engine before they've even looked at it.

We shall see what tomorrow brings....
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta

Swe

Post by Swe »

Interestning, your car is made 2016 ?? Thought this problem only occured on cars built 2014 and early 2015.
Swe

Post by Swe »

Member Slioch on this forum, has posted chassi numbers of affected cars. Read his thread, interesting info! Cars manufactured after serial no. 39320 is okey. Serial no. plate info, bottom windscreen corner.
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

I believe so Swe - registered March 2017.

Just had a video sent to me by the dealer to say it needs a new engine ! Just waiting for CS to ring me now with info,
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
Swe

Post by Swe »

Serial no. on your car? If its 39320 or higher, than Nissan has left us wrong information!!
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

Swe wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:32 am Serial no. on your car? If its 39320 or higher, than Nissan has left us wrong information!!

I asked what type of replacement and was told a complete engine.
I also asked about the engine number for the V5 but, now I am very sceptical here, they reckon the replacement engine will be stamped with the same number and will be a straight replacement updated engine that is then stamped with my number. Hmm....
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
Swe

Post by Swe »

I'm very interest to know your cars built serial number. Can you confirm that it has higher or lower no. than 39320??
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

Swe wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:48 pm I'm very interest to know your cars built serial number. Can you confirm that it has higher or lower no. than 39320??
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

So the Pulsar is now at Nissan having the new engine fitted, hopefully to be returned on Wednesday.

They've lent me another Pulsar and straight away I can tell the difference. It pulls away quicker, and smoother, and is also quiet !

Hopefully that's the end of the bad luck I had last week. In the space of 3 days I was told the engine was knacked, scraped the alloys getting out the way for an ambulance on a very narrow side street, and then a stone cracking the windscreen, meaning a new screen to be fitted Friday.

Further update to follow when it comes back.
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

Well it's time for a long overdue update !

Back in October they DID'NT fit a new engine - Nissan wouldn't authorise it - but changed the timing chain cover or somethinglie that ( I'm not very technical ! )

As mileage at the back end of last year / start of this year, was not high, and coupled with a service in the middle it was hard to monitor the exact oil usage.

Anyhow, a month or so ago I was again concerned over the oil use, and despite intitial attempts to fob me off, the dealer filled the oil to the brim and said they would check after 1000 miles. I'd done just under 3000 miles from service and it was 3/4 used.
At the 1000 mile check the oil was nigh on empty ! Straight away they said this time it's having a new engine.

I've just picked it back up after 10 days with the Nissan dealer and it has had a full engine replacement, so I was told. Not top half or whatever was suggested on other posts, but a full engine.

My word what a difference ! It feels like a different car and so much quieter. I was stopped at T Lights and I thought the stop/start had kicked in and wasn't on the display until I saw it was still at about 800 revs.

Please check your oil levels - constantly. On the quiet I was told that this isn't a historic fault and is still ongoing. It doesn't happen with this engine fitted into Renault cars. but is solely down to how Nissan have fitted the piston rings, and the issue is in all Nissan cars using this engine.

On another note, they lent me a Micra Diesel - ugh ! Has to be the noisiest diesel I've ever driven. Only done 2000 miles and sounded like a tractor.
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta