1.6 DIG-T - 5th gear change crunch [+ 1>2 change crunch]

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

Anybody else with a 1.6 DIG-T manual ever experience gear crunch between 3rd and 5th when 'making progress', such as an overtake?

I use 3rd gear to accelerate quickly past a car, then straight into 5th bypassing 4th (no point going to 4th only to then change into 5th!!)

It's as though I have not de-pressed the clutch enough but Im sure I am! Every other gear change is fine, even going 3rd to 6th but 6th gear isn't always ideal compared to 5th!

Its going in for a service soon, but just curios to see if others have this behaviour?

Deleted User 667

Bit more info to this as I was playing around on the way to work. I managed to replicate the issue in 2nd gear as well. Im quite sure I managed to replicate it going from 1st to 5th as well.

The key is engine rpm must be >4000rpm. You cant free rev it then knock it in gear, it must be during a gear change..... very odd.
ppd

Post by ppd »

I tried 3 -> 5 for you @ >4000rpm and that did not make crunching noises. It takes a a tiny bit longer to synchronize that kind of rev drop, obviously.

I have to "feather" 1 -> 2, otherwise I get a little crunch sometimes. According to two independent Nissan dealers everything is completely fine, so I just take it as a feature of the car.

So maybe you could take a video of your shifting process and the resulting crunch. There are tons of variables here: Shifting speed, lever operation, clutch operation, when do you press the cluch exactly, how much load is on the drivetrain before you shift etc.
2016 Pulsar Tekna 1.6 DIG-T
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

I agree with the 1-> 2 crunch. Hard to avoid it
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
Deleted User 667

Thanks for trying.

I also get the 1 > 2 'mini crunch', although its more of a 'feels a bit notchy' rather than a noise if that makes sense? I think I had the same in the 1.2 DIG-T Qashqai, and I’m quite sure that my wife's DIG-S Micra is similar. Nissan's never seem to make a smooth 1>2 change!

Need to be careful I don’t overdo the crunching to avoid causing myself future problems, but just driven between offices at work and tried again. Going from 2nd to 5th with engine speed >4000rpm.

I get the crunching:
* Engine speed > 4000rpm
* If I try a fast paced gear change
* If I try a normal paced gear change
* If I try a slow gear change (although crunched less often)
* If I try and 'half' change. (Depress clutch, offer the selector to 5th until resistance for a brief moment before pushing it home)
* Normal, light and hard acceleration
* Flat, up and down hill

Now going from 2nd or 3rd straight into 6th has no issues, just into 5th.

It's as though the clutch is not fully disengaging properly. I am confident that it is as I have no other issues which can only really point the finger at 2 other things.... Either its normal and I need to change my habits as the synco isn’t up to the job, or the syncro is worn.

I will try and avoid doing it (habits are difficult to get out of though!) and mention it at the next service. If they claim its normal, I will be wanting a demonstration in another car that this is normal as I don’t think it is.
ppd

Post by ppd »

Is it a crunch like in this video?

Deleted User 667

Yes! Mostly short chrunches like that, but occasionally longer.

I will try 2nd > 4th gear on my way home later to see if I can replicate the same 'characteristic' as per video. Im sure I have already tried it but will make a better mental note. Again it sounds like the engine is been taken to higher RPM range in this video which matches what I am also experiancing.

Seems bonkers that this is being declared as normal. Saying that, they declared the 1.2 DIG-T oil loss as normal to me when I had my Qashqai, then 12 months later replaced the engine! Problem here is that there isnt a huge amount of 1.6DIG-T's on the road and again probably even fewer who like to 'race' their engine into higher rpm ranges, then even less who skip gears going up the box! Chances are Nissan are hoping that 'the problem goes away' until warranties expire.
ppd

Post by ppd »

Do you get crunching while quickly shifting from 6 -> 5 @ high rpm? That would point to a bad syncro, but that seems highly unlikely. If I had to take a guess about that video, I'd say there may be a problem with the shifter linkage (the cables etc.) or maybe a transmission/engine mount problem.

The Juke forum has something about linkage issues on relatively recent models:
https://www.jukeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7202

I think the Pulsar, Qashqai & Juke all share variants of the TL4N gearbox and similar linkages and mounts, at least for the 1.6 DIG-T. So maybe there's something to discover that's applicable to the Pulsar from those sources.
Deleted User 667

Unable to replicate a 4th gear crunch as per video. I will try and get a video of mine, but might not be until the weekend.

I couldn't do a 4th to 5th test as again, but did manage to reconfirm that 1/2/3 > 5th crunches

Going from 6 > 5 or any other combination of downshifting doesn't seem to crunch.

I will take a look at the suggested threads thanks.
ppd

Post by ppd »

I have made a (crappy) video of what I feel and hear as a slight crunch (for me 1 -> 2)

So this is what Nissan considers "ok". If yours is more violent I'd certainly not accept it.