Engine malfunction

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Fault Description: 2016 Nissan Pulsar

This happens after a varying amount of time driving. The same sequence has happened six times now. The Nissan garage have recently replaced the engine management module and reported that the problem was sorted. However, within 20 minutes of leaving the garage the exact same sequence occurred (see below)

1. The stop/start warning light comes on with ‘stop/start malfunction’ message

2. Shortly after that the collision sensor light and electronic stability warning lights come on and the car starts to lose power. A multitude of warning lights then come on ‘engine malfunction’ etc.

3. The car then loses speed so that no matter what revs the engine is at e.g. 3,000, the car will not go above about 20 mph

4. Stopping the car and turning the engine off and then back on can sometimes reset for a very short while before it malfunctions again (getting the car to start again can be difficult)

The mechanics at the garage appear to be puzzled by it and are struggling to identify the cause of the problem. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

PulsarNismo94

Post by PulsarNismo94 »

This sounds like a battery/alternator fault, is it a diesel?

I don't understand how the techs are puzzled as I'm sure there will be a good handful of fault codes, most likely battery voltage related but I wouldn't know with out seeing myself

Maybe request a customer DTC print off? Express that you want this BEFORE they erase the fault codes, and post it here.

Hope you get it sorted
Tommo
Nissan Pulsar 1.6 Dig-T '15
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Thank you for the reply Tommo. It's not a diesel, it's a petrol automatic. I did mention the battery last time it went in (I just had a gut feeling) but they said it wasn't that. I'll ask them about the print out of the fault codes and mention the battery/alternator to them again. The mechanics at this particular branch all seem quite young so they may not have experienced this sort of technical problem before. Notwithstanding the modern use of computer technology, sometimes experience does still count!

Thanks again
PulsarNismo94

Post by PulsarNismo94 »

Ok, is it the 1.2? And do you know if your car still has the original battery?

May be worth mentioning to the kiddies with spanners that the cam position sensors can get clogged up with "mayonaise" caused by condensation from short trips, this can create the fault you're describing in the 1.2 engine.

It seems to me though with the stop/start system being the first warning to appear it would be a battery/alternator fault. Could be worth picking up a cheap voltmeter from Halfords, and checking the battery voltage before starting when you're expecting it to struggle.

I don't understand why they are so puzzled, the Consult diagnostic machine will always point them in the right direction, and the fact that the fault reappeared shortly after collecting the car says to me they hadn't checked their repair before calling you to collect, but I could be wrong.

I'm not long in the game dude, I think it's more there's less techs who are actually interested in their job!

Keep us updated pal, I'll help anyway I can
PulsarNismo94

Post by PulsarNismo94 »

There's is also an unpleasant fault of engine oil consumption, you can check this by pulling your dipstick and looking to see if the stick itself is burnt, but usually hear it from the timing chain before it causes to much damage..

Stay safe, and good luck man hope you get it sorted
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Thanks for the additional information Tommo. What you are saying appears to be very relevant. When I took it back they said that the cam and crankshaft sensors were out of synch and it needed new sensors. They were ordered and fitted and then they contacted me to say there was a further sensor (didn't specify which one) which needed changing. Waiting for that to be delivered and fitted before picking it up. I mentioned the battery again but it seems the computer diagnostics are not picking that up as a fault (if it checks specifically for that). The car is 4 years old and so it's likely to have the original battery.

I take your point about competence/motivation rather than just/only experience. On a positive note, the people at the dealership have been very good about getting things changed and their attitude is friendly and courteous. Hopefully this latest series of sensor changes will sort the problem. However, if not I'll be pushing for a thorough check on the battery.

Appreciate your help, Kind regards,
John
kt53

Post by kt53 »

My dealership changed my battery when I wasn't even aware there was a problem with it. This was at the 3rd service, so immediately before the warranty expired. I've had my problems with the dealership in the past, but that was good customer service.
PulsarNismo94

Post by PulsarNismo94 »

The cam sensors should solve it buddy. The other sensor/sensors are likely to be oil pressure/crank sensor.
And that's good to hear, at least they're trying their best to keep your wheels turning rather than "no fault found"

Before you go to collect, ask if they could do a battery health report for you. You should get a little midtronics 'receipt' that will either say

Good battery
Good battery - Recharge
Bad battery - replace

Most of the time it comes back as recharge so you're aware, because it's never at 100% charge while on the car.

If it says bad battery you'll get a replacement free of charge.

Glad to be of help!
peng

Post by peng »

Hello!I have the same problem as yours with my vehicle. The spark plugs have been replaced, but the problem has not been resolved. The car factory suspects that there is a problem with the engine. Can you ask how the problem of your vehicle is solved?