Stop/Start Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I don't think it should be called Stop/Start anyway. From my experience it's more like "Stop Once For An Indeterminate Time And Then Not Stop Again If You Are In A Traffic Jam". I suppose that is a bit too much to put in the index of the handbook :-)

kt53

Post by kt53 »

As I've said previously, I tend to switch off the Stop/Start system because the car stalls so often when the engine restarts. As the time for its first service is approaching I thought I'd look a little more deeply into what happens at restart. To ensure that I don't hold up traffic I still leave it off until I'm at a point where I can be reasonably confident that it won't kick in before I get home, and then switch it back on. Once stopped on the drive I allowed Stop/Start to kick in. What I have noticed is that when I put my foot on the clutch the revs only go up to 2 or 3 hundred and pause there for a couple of seconds before rising to about 1500 and dropping to normal idle speed. The consequence could easily be that revs haven't reached a level where I can pull off, thus stalling the car.
The sequence is exactly the same if I let the Stop/Start activate and then press the button to deactivate. Hopefully they will be able to do something to correct that when it goes in. Time will tell.
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

You'll be lucky if they do anything much when it goes in. Mine's coming up for it's two year service soon, and I'm wondering about the things they won't do. Trouble is you'd have to look over their shoulders to know what's really been done.
danielk

Post by danielk »

Trick yr car into thinking the bonnet is open
Stop/start system wont work anymore
kt53

Post by kt53 »

danielk wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 pm Trick yr car into thinking the bonnet is open
Stop/start system wont work anymore
If I knew how to I would do it gladly, but I'm not going to muck about with any connections whilst the car is under warranty.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

^^ that, and this method will also upset the alarm system!
Llaurent

Post by Llaurent »

mrrichmond1995 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:13 pm
greigspain wrote:
mrrichmond1995 wrote:Have you guys all got the 1.5 diesel engine in your cars?

I had this problem and I know what is causing it.
Mine is a 1.5 diesel and yes I am having this problem. What is causing it? Any help would save me a trip to a Spanish Nissan garage :?
Does it flash up saying stop start system faulty and then give you a orange check engine light?
Mine is 1.6 gas but exactly the issue you describe!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Booked the car in for its first service today and when I said there was an issue with Stop/Start the receptionist smiled. I asked if the smile meant it was a common problem and the response surprised me. He said along the lines of "No. It usually packs in altogether"
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I've had the car back from service a few days now and, touch wood, the Stop/Start system seems to be working properly. Pre-service when the engine kicked back in after Stop/Start operation revs would go up to around 2500 then drop almost to zero before rising again. Now they max at about 15 to 1700 and drop back to about 800. I've also noticed that the system kicks back in in traffic without the car moving, something it never did before.
I was at traffic lights and pressed the clutch, ready to go. Engine restarted but I couldn't actually move because traffic was static beyond the lights. Took my foot of the clutch and within a couple of seconds Stop/Start activated again.
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

Mine seems to work as and when it feels like it. I can replicate the same journey, with the same conditions, and some days it works and some it doesn't.
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta