Stop/Start Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Theholybeever

Post by Theholybeever »

Hi, i am having a Stop/Start fault happens in the same place almost every week but i then get a system fault with the collision avoidance system. I turn the engine off and back on straight away and the problem has gone. I popped the car into Nissan last week and amazingly no faults display on their systems and then tried to charge me £50 for the diagnostics test. I have now taken photos of the fault (Parked in a safe place) and sent to Nissan who are saying the collision avoidance is causing the issue as the sensors are dirty. However the Stop Start fails first then a couple of hundred yards down the road the collision avoidance fault appears.

My gut feeling is that the battery is running low and causing things to fail, but why a restart fixes this i dont know. I have the 1.5 Accenta diesel 2 years old.

Any advice or guidance would be great i have asked my garage to seek advice from Nissan themselves to see if they have any fixes.

Theholybeever

Post by Theholybeever »

Hi quick update.

Nissan have found an issue and it was a big one. The slave cylinder which was hidden behind the gearbox was leaking break fluid onto the clutch. Causing the break fluid to become low and not provide enough pressure for the safety systems to work.

This has taken me months of work and visits to Nissan to have this spotted and fixed. I was told so many different reasons including driving styles.

Thanks
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

wow, thanks for the feed back. That could have been one nasty issue if it had not have been spotted!

Did they explain exactly where it was leaking from on the slave cyclinder or even the potential cause?
Slioch

Post by Slioch »

Just a quick update on the issues that we have had regarding our Nissan Pulsar.

About 2 to 3 months ago we had the same issue of the Start Stop and System Fault coming up on the information panel along with the engine management light being on and in yellow.

We had the RAC attend as the car would barely go 5 mph. By the time he had arrived the fault had cleared itself so he was unsure as to what the issue was as the car had returned to normal mode. He carried out a diagnostic check on it and he came up with a misfire in no 4 cylinder. He cleared this though then carried out another diagnostic check and this time nothing came up. His advice was to monitor it and see how it went.

Last week the same issue arose again in exactly the same manner. Again the RAC were called out and this time the fault was visable to him. Another diagnostic check was carried out and he named the fault and said there was also a misfire in no 4 cylinder. The car was then recovered to Nissan in Inverness and the following day we received a phone call from them. This is where it gets interesting and hence the reason i'm moving to full capitals to grab everyone's attention.

NISSAN STATED THAT THE CAR REQUIRED A NEW ENGINE ...... YES THAT'S RIGHT A NEW ENGINE.

We made an appointment with the service manager Ian Grant at Dixon's of Inverness and to pick up our courtesy car whilst ours is being fixed.

Ian stated that it was an issue with premature wearing of the valves (or something very similar) and that was the reason it needed a new engine. We asked him if the new engine would be the same as the old one to which he replied that it was a modified engine as Nissan were aware of the issue regarding this engine. I asked him about the initial time we broke down and if that was the beginning of the engine deciding to pack in. He said yes and the Start Stop System Fault and engine management light coming on were in fact the indicators that the engine was beginning to fail.

Please ..... everyone who has this issue please contact Nissan and discuss this. We are lucky that our car is only a year and a half old and still under warranty so Nissan is picking up the bill but we have done research and it can be as much as £5000 for a new engine plus extra to cover the work.

We did also ask the service manager (Ian Grant) that if Nissan had made modifications to the engine then they obviously are aware of the problem and he confirmed that they were aware.

We left it at that but surely if Nissan are aware of the problem then why aren't they informing people who have purchased this vehicle?

If in doubt here is the contact details for Dixon's of Inverness

Service Manager
Ian Grant
Tel: 01463 701499 (think this is his direct number)
Email: ian.grant@dicksonsofinverness.co.uk

Dicksons of Inverness, 28/34 Carsegate Road, Telford Retail Park, Inverness, IV3 8EX, 01463 712800
Slioch

Post by Slioch »

Further to my last post .... i've attached a picture if it helps people

27330445_2017175048309129_862419037_o.jpg

Bleubolt

Post by Bleubolt »

Time to sell them
Cliffnut76

Post by Cliffnut76 »

Slioch, that is exactly what happened to mine but the problems I had carried on after my engine was changed. I gave up with my Pulsar and Nissans altogether after my experience with their so-called customer services. It cost me £800 to give up the Pulsar (thankfully I had it on a PCP deal) and I now have a Davis Duster and a Dacia Logan which have been faultless!
RPJ

Post by RPJ »

Hi,

I've been reading this article with interest. I have a 64 plate Pulsar with the 1.2 petrol engine and driving home from work on Friday night I was also advised of this fault. I've seen it a couple of times before but it has always disappeared after a few minutes. This time it has stuck on and when I drove the car earlier it was still there and now looks more serious. I can drive the car but the warning message is a constant reminder that something is wrong. I spoke with my local Nissan dealer yesterday and the car is booked in on Thursday for them to look at it. They were pretty non-committal as to the cause pending them completing a full diagnostics check. They didn't indicate it was a known or common fault with the Pulsar. As it stands I only have the Stop / Start Systems Fault warning message and not the Engine Management one as well. The car has done just under 30k miles and has also been serviced by the main dealer. They did advise me before Christmas that they had installed a software update to reduce excessive oil usage?

I did speak with a friend who is a mechanic last night and he told me that most stop / start faults were battery related. I had a new battery fitted around 12 months ago under warranty after mine had leaked. Unfortunately my car came of warranty in December and I'm now worried as to what happens next and more importantly what it might cost me to get this fixed.

Any thoughts or guidance, before Thursday especially, as to what might be the cause and how I should approach this with the dealer, would be appreciated. Many thanks.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

See what the outcome of the visit to the dealer is first. If you do have an issue and they want to be paid to rectify it, it will be worth contacting Nissan Customer Service as it is just past the 3 year warranty period. They might be helpful.
RPJ

Post by RPJ »

Thanks kt53 and that is the sensible option. I will contact them to see that they advise. Probably best not to get too worried in the meantime until I know the outcome of the dealer's diagnostic check. Just have to hope that's pretty easy and cheap to fix, although reading all the posts I think I'm being optimistic! Fingers crossed anyway.