Pulsar 2014, 1.8 hatch CTV transmission. 42K km.

Problems using the forum - post here. Not Car Related.
Brucewatson

Post by Brucewatson »

I get a lot of 'drumming' above 60 KPH. Tyre noise accounts for some. It is the first time I have owned a CTV transmission; could this be the noise? Tyres are all the same with legal tread. I thought it may be wheel bearing or constant velocity joint, or maybe wind noise on the body. Its not engine and not related to engine revs. Car goes great but noise gets a bit on ones nerves on a long haul. Anyone know what it is?

v_maxim

Post by v_maxim »

If it is not engine related, i.e. the there is no drumming while stationary revving the engine, try these while driving on a smooth road, no bumps, no holes:
- does the sound appear near a specific speed? does it tend to diminish if going faster? Does the car vibrate, do you feel the wheel vibrating at this speed? Usually this means unbalanced tyres. Sometimes this vibration can be quite a good shake, you can clearly feel it on the wheel.
- if the sound comes with a slight vibration, sometimes unnoticed due to the harshness of the road, you might check the bearings.
- if it sounds only (well, mainly) when cornering, and mainly on turning to the left or to the right, this is usually a CV joint problem.
- if it sounds sometimes on cornering, other times on rough roads - it might be the stabilizer links.
- is it brakes related? does it intensify while slightly braking? check the brake disks, brake pads...
If none of these, check the tie rods; lift the car and check for leakage, nuts tightening, coil springs and dampers. Worn coils and shock absorbers are silent, usually, but change the car behaviour (swinging, balancing, longer braking distance)
The most frequent rolling related problems are unbalanced tyres, brakes, bearings, CV joints. Less often there are tie rod and stabilizer malfunctions.
Pulsar C13 Acenta 1.2 Dig-T Xtronic
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

hi, just to say i have the same on my diesel 1.5 manual,( 65 plate nconnecta with 15000 miles on it) comes on about 65/70, i think my thrumming is tyres, the garage i bought from fitted cheap chinese tyres on the front as the continentals were worn, the rears are legal and their original tyres, i think its more the worn continentals than the chinese tyres, i never liked continentals, i ll get the summer out of mine and change all 4 . i dont have any of the above symtems just the thrum. pretty poor continentals if worn down after 14000 miles.
i had an old micra from new and it handled terrible with continentals on especially in the wet.
v_maxim

Post by v_maxim »

Actually the chinese tyres are getting better and better! At least some of them. My father had Kumho on Chevrolet Aveo and were great for that car; We replaced them with Kumho again! Besides, they have good ratings on braking on wet and fuel economy; I was pleasantly surprised!
Some tyres may worn faster than others, some are better on braking on wet - but above all, for a good and safe driving you must have good suspension (shock absorbers) and very well balanced wheels. Apropos: I had this problem, of unbalanced tyres, on my previous car, an Opel Astra fitted with Firestone and Kleber tyres. Once balanced, the symptoms vanished and the driving was smooth and firm.
Pulsar C13 Acenta 1.2 Dig-T Xtronic