Engine Problems 1.2turbo

New to the Nissan Pulsar Forums? Introduce yourself here
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I very much doubt it's being covered by Watchdog. The sales numbers for the Pulsar are so low that engine problems probably don't even register on any stats.

Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

The 1.2 engine has suffered in both the Juke and Qashqai so there are a fair number of cars out there that have had to have work.

You mention trading standards.... what exactly is it you are after as by the sounds of it Nissan have offered a repair?

1. Replacement car: difficult as this could be considered betterment, something which you are not entitled to. You may get lucky if you are on finance, a few people have been able to simply hand the car back but that depends on your finance company. Usually only done with continued problems.

2. Refund: You are not immediately entitled to a refund on any purchase unless it’s unrepeatable, not replicable (IE no spare parts, no new/recon item), or has gone beyond what is reasonable in terms of repair.... or again you are on finance/PCP deal in which you maybe able to wiggle out of it.

3. Repair: It seems to me that you have been offered a 'replacement engine', which depending on your particular issue could be just a short block (so just the bottom end, with the head and accessories being retained). Some people are just getting replacement pistons or even just replacement piston rings with this particular issue.

Its VERY VERY difficult that you can argue that your car is not fit for purpose. Even in the event of catastrophic failure, then Nissan are well within their rights to offer a repair to return you back to the same position you were before failure within the warranty period, or in this case within 6 years given the oil loss issue is a manuf defect....
The Manuf defect can be backed up by the fact Nissan have an internal document (which has been leaked, you can find it posted several times throughout forums) reporting of oil loss issues within a range of VIN numbers.

If your VIN isn’t listed, it could be an unrelated issue that just happens to have similar characteristics as the original issue hounding the early 1.2's, got really unlucky, or there is simply a horrific design fault with these 1.2 engines where we will see more newer type cars creeping out of the woodwork over time.

This is why I now own the 1.6DIG-T…. there was no way I was ever going back to a car fitted with a 1.2DIG-T engine after my own personal Qashqai saga.
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

I’ll say again that all these unfortunate problems stem from Nissan selling out to Renault. I would never think of buying a Renault and yet most of our Pulsars have 10 year old Renault engines in them... absolutely crazy in my view.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I certainly wasn't aware that the Pulsar 1.2 had a Renault engine when I bought it. I would definitely have thought twice if I had known.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

hi, If I remember correctly the petrol and diesel engines used are of Nissan/Renault joint design, after about 02/03 I remember projects with both companies to use the same engines and transmissions and floor pans across different model ranges to reduce costs. I know at the moment since Nissan bought Mitsubishi motor division, the Mitsubishi hybrid technology will now be adapted for use in future Nissan/Renault models.
I remember that years ago Mitsubishi made gearboxes for Nissan, Nissan made parts for Subaru, Yamaha made sport engines for Toyota,
At the present time your not buying a Nissan or a Renault your getting both under a named skin as both companies share technology.I wouldn't be put off.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

On the similar subject, I bet Peugeot/ citroen looking at similar things now regarding their acquisition of Vauxhall / opel, either new Vauxhall opels will run on Peugeot/citroen floor pans and new designed engines or the gm Vauxhall engines will be dropped in favour of the French units.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I know a lot of car companies use common parts but French car manufacturers in general don't have a great reputation for quality, unlike Nissan when they did their own thing.
StuGee

Post by StuGee »

Based on my experience, I think Renault is ok. We've had 3 and one was probably the least troublesome car we've ever owned. Nowadays, almost every car is a "good" car. Sharing tech is common in all industries, and will become more common still. It's industries way of giving us what we want. Good quality and low cost. A very new demand.
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

Nissan had a reputation for engineering excellence, which I never heard said about Renault. I too was totally unaware of this awful mismatch, when buying my car. I knew that Renault had the majority of shares, but thought that Nissan had been left to do their own thing. I certainly would have thought twice about buying.
I was quite surprised to notice that my oil filter is a Renault one, which made me research things on the internet to discover the ugly truth.
All the time these manufacturers are cutting costs and ripping us off.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

I think your all getting the wrong end of the stick, nissans are nissans, bodies to Nissan standard, engines have been developed together their not wholly Nissan or Renault but developed together, Renault dropped their v6 in favour of the Nissan unit at the time, both companies raid similar parts bins for ball joints example.
look at vw, now all seats and skodas run vw parts ,I cant see your point of being ripped off,i am not sticking up for them buti think it helps to keep the cost of the cars down, particularly on the smaller cars where they don't make a great deal of profit per car. I think Nissan make a quality car.