Engine Problems 1.2turbo

New to the Nissan Pulsar Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chetterbox

Post by Chetterbox »

Hi husband came home and told me he was speaking to a customer who went to buy a 1.2 micra but was told by her friend that works at a nissan garage not to buy as Nissan have a known problem with all their 1.2 turbo engines. 1 month later my car started making a noise as if there is a problem with my exhaust. Phoned Nissan explained the situation and asked if they had problem with engine they denied all knowledge, car was taken in for diagnostic and i took all the info i had. Guess what it needs a new engine, they finally admitted that they have a problem with all their 1.2 turbo engines in all models, car in garage being replaced by a new engine another 1.2 turbo engine, they are replacing about 1 a week at this garage but wont recall them.

kt53

Post by kt53 »

What year is the car? There is a history of problems on earlier Pulsar 1.2.
Chetterbox

Post by Chetterbox »

car was purchased 2015, but the other car whos owner i spoke to was 12 months old. picked up my car today and they said they had changed 4 engines last week. he pointed to a car next to mine and said that the chap who owned it would have to pay for it himself as he had gone over his 12month service , how dare they when they know its a known problem and its their fault for fitting crap engines sign they have merged with Renault.
cars on the road but we will wait and see.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

This is a very well known problem suffered by 1.2 DIG-T engines fitted to the Juke, Micra and Pulsar between 2014 and 2015. There is a monster thread on the QQ forums. My old Qashqai which was a 1.2 was one of those affected, and was one of the reasons I went well out of my way to source a Pulsar with a 1.6 DIG-T engine!!

In addition, you wont usually get a full engine replacement. Its either piston ring replacement or bottom end.... UNLESS you didnt check your oil level, let the engine run dry and completely trashed it!

The engine itself is fine as a unit, plenty of people have it and have no problems. However somebody appears to have been asleep during quality control during some of the early models. Nobody is really quite sure what the problem is other than Nissan, but there are suggestions on incorrect sized pistons fitted (by that I mean, they are all within spec, BUT each piston is sized to a bore to ensure a snug fit, fitting a slightly smaller piston to a slightly larger bore results in a less than perfect fit and could allow oil to seep past), or something iffy with the piston rings.

Car manuf's only really forced to recall cars if there is a safety issue. As it not a safety issue, nor do they really know which engines are affected, they are 'chancing it' and just dealing with it as and when they come across it. Its standard practice for all manuf’s, unless their hand is forced by a governing body…. Or they feel it will tarnish their reputation!

Just to correct your hubby's customer, the 1.2 N/A and 1.2 DIG-S (supercharged) fitted to the K13 Micra are *completely* different engines to the 1.2 DIG-T engine and have not been affected by this particular issue. I believe the engines fitted to the newer K14 model is a 1.0 N/A engine, and a 0.9L turbo engine, again different to that of the 1.2 DIG-T engine.
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

All these problems stem from Nissan being involved with Renault engines - crazy in my view.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

Thing is, even 'more expensive' range of cars are not immune from problems:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... isk-fears/

The lesson here is really avoid the first 1-2 years of a model and get a later one where most issues like this would have worked their way through to resolution, or made themselves known on forums/news articals such as this issue.
Particulate Driver

Nissan should get back to making their own engines, which often still run when they’re knackered.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Particulate Driver wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm Nissan should get back to making their own engines, which often still run when they’re knackered.
But it ain't gonna happen. Nissan is owned by Renault and there is an obvious economy of scale in using the same engine across the range. I don't like it any more than you as Nissan always had a great reputation for reliability which is more than can be said for Renault.
Particulate Driver

Hi kt53 , yes, it’s our loss then.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

I have a 15 plate 1.2 is there anything I should look out for whilst it's in 12 month nissan approved used warranty ?