Sat Nav Map Update - Nissan taking the ****

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
Deleted User 470

Post by Deleted User 470 »

gezt wrote:Just popped mine in (V2) updated ok , no worries there.
Has the old one any uses, seems a shame to chuck it if someone can use it.
EBay mate, you will get some money for it there

stuart

Post by stuart »

Finally received my updated SD card through the post from France.
V3 1.1 expected the latest which is 2.
I suppose they have to dispose with the outcome of date ones somehow.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I've been in contact with Nissan customer support asking what the date of the most recent map update is and when the next one will be available. They provided me with a link to Nissan Connect and it makes interesting reading. The 'current' map was compiled in Quarter 1 of 2016, so already nearly 18 months out of date, and there is no information currently about when the next update will be available.

Utterly ridiculous, particularly when they charge £109 if you have to buy it. It's very tempting just to revert to my Garmin, but also bl**dy annoying as sat nav is now an integral part of most cars. Even my 2017 AA road map shows the new Forth Bridge ie. Queensferry Crossing.
bartw

Post by bartw »

Had no joy from Nissan with my 15 plate which was sold with a 2013 map. Ended up buying a new map myself (on Ebay) this year as they dodged the question in several emails I sent them.
2015 1.2 X-Tronic
kt53

Post by kt53 »

The whole saga is ridiculous. As it's gone on a long time I thought it might help if I summarised the way things went.

Car purchased new in October '16.
December '16 display on sat nav informs me that update is available.
Feb/March '17 Contacted local dealershipto request the update and was informed it would cost over £100.
March '17 contacted Nissan customer services who said update was free but they didn't know when it was due for release. How so when I'd had the message in Dec 16?
20 May '17 Finally received the update after many e-mails back and forth (look through this topic if you want a headache).
Sep '17 Contact Nissan customer services to see if there is another update on the way. They don't know but gave me a link to Nissan Connect where it states updates are normally done annually. Checked that and it shows V2 (the version I have now) uses data collected in first quarter of 2016. If that was only finally made available 15 months later (May '17) I suspect that even the next release won't have the Queensferry Bridge on it when released middle of next year. How many other road alterations will also be missing.
I'm not naive enough to believe that an update can be created in a matter of days, but if Garmin and TomTom can release updates every couple of months I don't see why Nissan can't do something similar.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

V3 is now on the Nissan site. I've got a service coming up in the next month so watch this space to see if the latest version is installed by the dealership. If not I'll be onto Nissan to sort it out - again.

I've taken the precaution of printing out the e-mail from Nissan Customer Services stating that map updates are free during the period of warranty. I'll take that with me when I book the car in.
gezt

Post by gezt »

Well I and a few guys have tried everything to copy the V2 sd card but alas to no avail, has anyone tried V2 in an older pulsar to see if it updates then it's removed and v1 inserted. Wonder if it would keep the updates etc in the system, Don't know anyone near me in Oldham to try it out.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

getz, are you thinking that inserting V2 and allowing the update, then reinserting the V1 card might retain the V2 data?
gezt

Post by gezt »

Yep kt53 , thinking the updated version loads onto the machine and it retains the info then insert v1which shouldn't be overwritten but operated with both versions, if that makes sense, just Wondering if it's worth a try
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I suspect the map information stays on the SD card and only s/w updates are actually downloaded. No harm in trying, but if it was that easy I think it would be common knowledge by now.