Problems starting in the cold.....battery?

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
BCH

Post by BCH »

Understandable needs must 👍

kt53

Post by kt53 »

keithbrown53 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:47 pm So, after more issues this week, I have traded in the Pulsar, for a Kia Ceed. 7 months old, so just the 77 months warranty remaining :)

I hope you all enjoy your cars, but when you lose faith in a car, it's time to change.

Cheers,

Keith.
It's a shame, but totally understandable. Nissan customer service seems to be non-existant these days and, when you add multiple niggling issues with the vehicle, people will vote with their feet. Hope you got a decent trade in. The only problem purchasing Kia where I live is that they are at the same dealership as the Nissan so customer service is likely to be just as bad. At least the 7 year warranty means they have to fix the problems whether they like it or not.
Finchburger

Post by Finchburger »

Cost me around 74+24 fitting for stop/start system reset at Nissan dealer. Just out of warranty. Used vehicle, 4yr old. I don't use stop/start.
£100 all in not bad since Halfrauds battery alone was 157.
Xmas eve....

IMG_20181224_173217-picsay.jpg

2014 1.2 Dig-t Tekna
Steelmate reverse sensors
LED full beams
Metalmickey

Post by Metalmickey »

Same battery I got under warranty for duff battery.
Less than 2 months left on warranty so I think I was fortunate.
Shame that Nissan don't exchange these duff batteries as a gesture of good will for those customers just out of warranty as the batteries are clearly a manufacturing fault.
Swe

Post by Swe »

There is a lot of threads on Qashqai and Juke forums about this. To me it is obvius that the batteries i Nissan cars breaks down to often, compared with other brands. Maybe the problem is the charging system in our cars that damage the batteries. Nissan uses a intelligent battery charging system - IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module), which should keep the battery at full charge with trickle charge current which equals to voltage on battery terminals around 13,2V. Vice versa, if the battery charge status drops down, IPDM increases charging current, which will result in higher battery voltage at maximum 14.5V in order to avoid damaging battery cells. But...in my car it does not charge to 100%. First battery was replaced after one year of use. Average battery voltage is around 12,3-12,4 V the day after i used the car. This means that the battery charge level is about 50% !! This causes significant shorter lifetime of the battery due to a chemical process. This maybe explain our problems. The way to prevent this is to reprogramme software of this module. I dont believe that Nissan is going to do that, remain for me to use a intelligent battery charger in order to secure a fully charged battery with normal lifetime.
Fantomino

Post by Fantomino »

Hello there. I had the same problem. Apparently was something wrong with the glow plugs. I changed them and since then i had no problem
Metalmickey

Post by Metalmickey »

This is a specific issue with the framm battery used in nissans, plenty of qq and pulsars having them fail.
Don't know if its an issue with the other cars in the range.
Nissan know there is an issue because the RAC who provide the breakdown cover for cars under warranty, carry spare Nissan original batteries as a warranty replacement.
Swe

Post by Swe »

I have now locked the car, top charged battery for 24h with low current (0,2 A up to 14,5 V). After 12h of rest the battery status is now 100% charged, 12,85 V as it should be. Conclusions: 1. Always lock the car (current drain seems to be minimized). 2. Use a low current or an intelligent battery charger often , to compensate for the IPDM bad performance.
CherryCat

Post by CherryCat »

Wow Keith hope you like your new car I have been at my dealer 11 times altogether now car is 4 months old won't start with the clutch but will start 1st time using the brake as advised by the garage/dealer.Had a lot of trouble with her not starting up again frequently at lights.New battery-replacement clutch switch as mine was" a little sticky"- taken from another car!Problem was no lights in history.Then last weekend after about 100 yards into journey a jolt followed by warning lights.Rac came out cam shaft/crankshaft fault- causing intermittent start fault lights were off by the time they came out so they thought it would be ok to drive.Happened the next morning again this time I just got the recovery van out to take my car up the road as 20 miles to nearest dealer.Work done on car on Monday but I refused to pick her up as wanted to speak to Dealer Principle re-rejecting the car.Declined taking my letter and hadn't got my original letter of complaint left with showroom when car was about 6 weeks old.Asked me to take car and see how she does seeing a lot have had new engines replaced.Like you if I could I would have got rid as had lost confidence but to date I can't.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

That is some catalogue of problems CherryCat and not acceptable in a new car. You could try complaining direct to Nissan, not through their Customer Services department as I've found them to be totally unhelpful, but by writing direct to the CEO. When I had a problem with my bank it was near miraculous how quickly things got sorted after that letter!