Problems starting in the cold.....battery?

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
CherryCat

Post by CherryCat »

Thanks for your reply I was listening to a local consumer radio this morning and they were advising complaints are given in writing.Glad you got the bank sorted.

kt53

Post by kt53 »

With reference to the dealership refusing to accept your letter, write to them recorded delivery. They won't know who the letter is from until they sign for it and then you will have proof that it has been received. The suggestion to write to the CEO of Nissan UK still stands.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

You can add me to the list of buggered battery! 66 plate 1.6 DIG-T so just within normal 3 year warranty.

Parked up Friday under a car port, came to it this morning and it REALLY struggled. All the lights on the dash went off but thankfully it started... but only just. Nipped down the road to drop the kid off at school, same thing happened on return.

Thankfully, managed to drop it off at the local dealer to me and they are going to test and swap.

However, I have sneaky suspicion that mine may have been damaged, or helped in its aging process in its first year. It only did 500 miles when I bought it at 9/10 months old so chances are it had been flat a few times!

It actually got me thinking. Is it possible to push start these cars (manual) at all? I don't know if simply getting the ignition to switch on (pressing stop/start button without depressing clutch or brake) and giving it a push/roll down hill and kick the clutch would work?!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Very good question, also when the engine is off, even when Stop/Start kicks in, the steering locks. Is it possible to unlock with a dead battery and no key?
Deleted User 667

Steering lock disengages once you have flicked the ignition on, so that should not be a problem. My drive is on a slop downwards so in theory I could have bump started it if needed, but I didn't know if simply getting it so the ignition came on (pressing ignition button without pressing clutch or brake) was enough to allow it to be bumped, or if there is some mechanism in the way that could prevent it!

That, and from a mechanical point of view!

As for unlocking to get into the car. Yes, there is a key within the fob itself which can be used to gain access to the car.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

"Steering lock disengages once you have flicked the ignition on"

But if you have a completely dead battery surely you can't flick the ignition on because the Start button won't do any thing. Or am I missing something?
Deleted User 667

aah no, but if its dead completely then bumping it wont work either as it need to power the ECU, fuel pump and ignition system!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Steering locking if the engine stalls is one thing which does concern me. In the possibly unlikely scenario of an engine cutting out when driving wouldn't you be unable to steer?
Deleted User 667

Slightly deviating in this topic now, but if the engine stalls, then the ignition stays on like it would with a key so it would not lock the steering.

Im also quite sure going off memory, even if you did knock off the ignition, the stearing lock wont re-engage until you open the drivers side door.

Its like, what happens if a kid gets hold of your key fob and chucks it out of the window whilst traveling down the M6 at 70mph. The car suddenly wont kill the engine but brings up a message, giving you the oportunity to come to a safe stop somewhere (or even, just complete the jurney.... just down stall it!!)

Back on topic, the dealer down the road, which I have not been too for many years for a service norbought a car from had no issues with swapping over my battery yesterday. They even massivly impressed me by taking it in and doing the job on the day of taking it in, and just did it.

Like others have said, gone from a Fiamm battery to one which appears to have no markings on them. Not really had chance to look much deeper though.

This just shows the stark contrast between dealers for work which should be covered under warranty. You have some who will bend over backwards and get the job done, and then some who will just argue and nark you off. If they do argue, then I would be inclined to take your business elsewhere as they clearly are not interested in helping you.