Rattles everywhere

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Hello,

I've had my 1.2 Tekna Pulsar for a couple of months ( 900 miles) and I'm now finding the good and bad parts of the car !
The good parts are,

It cruises nicely on the motorway ,nice and quiet,
The lights are good,
The controls on the dash are well placed and easy to use, the dials are clear to see,
It handles nicely and is easy to park with good visibility alround.

The bad points are;

The appalling placing of the rear hatch opening switches,
The large number of rattles from the dash , headlining and interior light.
The gearchange is not very precise especially from first to second,hopefully it will bed in as the miles build up.
The satnav is still trying to send me over roundabouts that don't exist !!
The grating /rattling noise from the turbo is annoying.
The heating and ventilation seems to be very weak.
The low profile tyres don't help with the ride comfort which is very harsh.especially at low speeds on the poor roads where I live.
The strange way the car moves after the handbrake is put on,it's still slightly disconcerting !
I hope the fuel consumption will improve as the engine beds in , best mpg being 33 and the worst 19 mpg.

Now an update ,
I took the car back to the dealer for the rattles to be cured and also a strange knocking/slapping noise which appeared to be coming from the bottom of the windscreen area. They cured the rattles , the strange noise from the windscreen area is caused by the screen being loose and hadn't been fitted correctly at the factory.
I'm now awaiting a new screen to be fitted, the screen does move at the bottom when I checked it today ,I hope it doesn't detach itself completely !!!

The Captur is better than my previous car the Renault Captur which was a very unreliable and poor handling car.

All the best from Neale.

kt53

Post by kt53 »

I haven't had any problems with rattles and actually think the gearbox is very good. Fuel consumption is also good. Typically 37-38 around town and mid 40's or better on a run. I have the 1.2 petrol. With your fuel consumption figures I'd be going back to the dealership to get it sorted.

I do agree that the satnav is very poor. I've been told to take first right and immediately first left on a lane with no side roads. Also to take the 4th exit on a roundabout with 3 exits - 4th would take me back where I came from. On the heating / ventilation I find it clears the passenger side very quickly on demist but takes a lot longer on the driver side. Not a problem if you're happy to let the front seat passenger tell you what's ahead, but a pain in the wotsit otherwise.

A number of people have commented on the way the car can move after the handbrake has been applied. Very odd system!
RandomlySet

Post by RandomlySet »

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding 1st to 2nd a pain in the ass, or suffering low MPG. Best I've had is 42mpg, but to even get into the 30s, I need to have the mpg "live" gauge on display and really concentrate!.... My Pulsar ticked 500miles on Sunday,
Finchburger

Post by Finchburger »

Yep, 1 to 2 needs to be 'delivered'as opposed to slamming or trying to get it done like a race driver. I can't say I've ever had the best mpg either but it's on par with the first series 1.6 Note we had. I stopped paying attention to it after a week and switched the gauge off!
2014 1.2 Dig-t Tekna
Steelmate reverse sensors
LED full beams
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

I agree that fuel consumption is crap for the size of the engine, but maybe I've been spoilt by driving diesels for the last 20 years.

Can't say I'm bothered by any of your other issues :-

You can complain that maybe the position of the boot hatch is poor, but once you know where it is what's the big deal? It's not like it moves when you're not looking !

Handbrake makes the car move about 6 inch I reckon. Again, what's the problem? You know it's going to do that and you shouldn't be parking close enough where it will be an issue.

Have you had the satnav updated to the latest version? My car was only registered in March of last year but still needed the update. Since then I've used it dozens of times all over the country and it's not sent me wrong once.

Are you using the heating with climate control on? I am and not noticed poor performance.
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
kt53

Post by kt53 »

My satnav has the latest update but still uses some extremely convoluted routes. I've put it on when I know the quickest route locally and if I'd followed it's instructions I would be going miles (literally) out of my way on occasion. I know no Satnav is perfect but I've used Garmin and Tomtom in the past and they are vastly superior to the Nissan system.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Hello,

Thanks for all the posts concerning my first impressions of my Pulsar , I've noticed I had a 'senior moment' and posted that my previous car was a Pulsar when in fact it was a Captur !!

I stand by what I wrote in that the car moving a small amount is concerning at first , even now it adds some excitement I could do without ,especially when stopping on a steep hill , I can't control how close other drivers stop behind me when I'm stopped.

The sat nav on mine is the very latest according to my dealers , but in North Wales and Manchester areas it sometimes is very poor sending me down roads that don't exist and roundabouts that aren't there !

I noticed one of the reply posts that , quote, ( Can't say I'm bothered by any of your other issues ) I personally think having the windscreen being loose and not fitted properly during the build at the factory to be quite serious , I can move it away from the frame at the bottom driver's side.

The rear hatch opening button positioning is very poor, it shouldn't need the feel of a surgeon to find it, no other car I've owned has had such a poor design, a good test of correct positioning of controls is to let someone who has never driven one to try the controls, I have and nobody has had a good word to say about it !

The heating seems to be set up for left-hand drive vehicles as the passenger side of the windscreen clears first and is much hotter than the drivers-side, the silly position of the handbrake is also set up for left-hand drive.

It's still early days for me with this car and when the screen is replaced I can put some more miles on the clock.

Regards from Neale.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

My experience with windscreen clearing is exactly the same as yours. Just another indicator of sloppy build with no thought for UK requirements - much like the handbrake.
HillBill

Post by HillBill »

My Pulsar produces VERY anoying rattles from behind the dashboard, especially at lower RPMs.

Do you guys have any guesses? I know finding the root cause could be a painful process
--
2017 1.6Dig-T Acenta
Swe

Post by Swe »

Rattles often occur when plastic meets plastics. Such a place are the covers on both sides of the gearbox consol. I had to put some distance mtrl where two covers meets, the gearbox cover and the cover above, location near your feets. It was hard to locate the source. Sunglass compartment is also sensitive when glasses is stored. Rear hatch opening is helped by my suggestion with a black tape on hatch. See pic in my other thread. Then I am very confused over your high petrol consuming. I drive a 1.2 x-tronic and the last year the accumulated average is 0,52litres/10km, thats 54mpg. The engine is programmed in ECO mode, and I also perform ecodriving tech.