New Nissan Leaf

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
keithbrown53

Post by keithbrown53 »

Anyone been in one? What's the rear space like? Looks quite Pulsar-like from the pictures.

Interested in getting a used one once prices have dropped (....will need to be by a lot!) in 2020-ish, when my Pulsar will be 6 years old.

By that time, there should be used examples available of the larger battery version, which is out at the end of 2018.

RandomlySet

Post by RandomlySet »

My dealer has agreed to let me borrow one for a day/weekend. I'm hoping to get in next weekend and will be making a video of it.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

I've been in the 1st gen one in a showroom and it was 'interesting'. They tried to make it a little different to make it stand out, but it left me feeling out of place. These things just need to look and feel like any normal car on the road rather than being special.

I understand the latest one they have started to pull that back, certaintly from the outside it seems much better and its likley we will be swapping the wife's Micra DIG-S for one when that gives up the ghost. It only does short-ish trips and in the last 12 months, the furthest its been away from home in one go is about 12 miles!

As to what I go for, new or used.... tough choise. Been 'stung' by the new car depriciation before, and will probably keep my eyes out for very low mileage, nearly new cars or a pre-reg.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

The Leaf may suit your wife's needs if she only does short runs but for general usage I don't think pure electric cars are fit for purpose yet. Until they can get battery technology which gives in excess of 300 miles between charges, and full charge in 10 to 15 minutes I really don't believe they can become mainstream. At my local petrol station they have 12 pumps and you can be in, filled and out again in about 5 minutes even on a busy day. Where are all the charging points going to be installed if there are millions of electric cars on the roads?
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

^^ agreed. I would be keeping a petrol fuelled car for those occasional long trips. Saying that, our long trips are few and far between in all fairness but you cant beat the convenience of a 5 minute fill up and away you go!

Shame they didnt fit an electric motor to the Micra as it would be a perfect match. The Leaf, if I remember correctly is similar in size to the Pulsar
RandomlySet

Post by RandomlySet »

I drove a Leaf about 6 months ago, and was put off by the range. The salesguys were honest and said that realistically the 120mile range option would likely get 100miles, Factor in extras like using the heaters, radio and what not, I bet it'd drain around 80-ish

Although my trip to work is less than 3miles each way, we have driven to Norfolk, Heathrow, Leeds etc from Chesterfield. Balls to planning multiple stops, or arranging a loan vehicle from them to sit in an airport car park for 2 weeks.

EV's will eventually be mainstream, but first they ALL need to have a 300mile range minimum and offer a way of giving a full charge in under an hour.

Why EV's don't have solar panels built into the roofs/bonnets (or even windows) is beyond me!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I wonder how much of the range of an electric car would have been lost with defrosting / demisting the screen before driving when the Beast from the East hit.
RandomlySet

Post by RandomlySet »

kt53 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 pm I wonder how much of the range of an electric car would have been lost with defrosting / demisting the screen before driving when the Beast from the East hit.
Exactly, and I wonder if some buyers think of this.

Although, one review I watched was of a guy in Norway or somewhere. Although I think he kept his Leaf in a garage.
nottmsteve

Post by nottmsteve »

There is so much that needs to happen before I would consider an electric car. Like others have said the range is a big issue and also the longevity of the batteries. I for one could not be arsed to go through the rigmorale of charging it all the damn time. Some days I do 5 miles, some days 50. I look at the gauge and that tells me if I need to make a 5 min detour to fill up or not, or do I sit and twiddle my thumbs for 2 hours while it charges. Does the battery discharge if not used as well?
2017 1.2 Pulsar Tekna
2017 1.2 Micra Acenta
kt53

Post by kt53 »

There are any number of problems with the idea of phasing out petrol / diesel cars. How do people who don't have driveways charge their cars? Will there be power leads snaking across footpaths to the cars? How many charger cables will be stolen? As already mentioned - charging time, battery life, charging points ..... the questions go on.
There's also the question which was raised on Top Gear before JC punched the producer's lights out - How much fossil fuel is required, and CO2 produced, to build an electric engine and what mileage needs to be covered to compensate?