Pulsar Ignition Problems

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
Big Bad Baz

Post by Big Bad Baz »

Purchased a new Pulsar in April 2016. Just for info suffered oil consumption problems in the first year and the only advise I was give was to purchase more oil, which was 'special' so could only be bought from them at £15 a time. Not a warranty issue apparently.
Had it's first service in April this year and there was a 'fix' done on the oil consumption. Does that not make it a known fault and a warranty issue?
A couple of days after the service I got into the car and it wouldn't start. Absolutely nothing. Dead. Went back indoors and was discussing with my wife how we were going to get through the day without the car. Went back out and tried again and it started first time. A few days of being apprehensive but it continued ok.
A couple of weeks later I got in the car and it didn't recognize the key with the key illustration showing on the screen. Not being technically inclined I thought the signal was being 'blocked' by stuff in my pocket. Waved it around like someone demented it eventually sorted itself out with the start illustration on the screen. A few days I found the keyless feature did not work so had to open the door by the remote. I then had to wave the key around again to get the ignition screen to appear. This happened several more times until I couldn't get it to start at all so referred to the hand book. The advise was to hover the key over the ignition switch which worked.
Thought enough was enough so ran it into the dealer. The friendly (facetious) receptionist said I needed a new battery. After some debate over the battery being flat after just over a year I was told to go to Parts and buy another one. Again not under the warranty. The Parts guy said that batteries last 5 years but the said that it was a known fault on Pulsars caused by the Stop/Start system. Suggested I turned this off and it would sort itself out. Next day I pulled into my drive and stopped and car would not lock and again would not recognise the key, not even by remote locking. Struggling for ideas I eventually restarted the car, hovering the key fob over the ignition, and stopped it again and was then able to lock it. Have certain sporting events to attend this week which necessitate leaving car in public car parks unattended. Very vulnerable if I can't lock it. Hopefully next week I can get it into the garage but I hope they won't want if for more than a day otherwise I'm struggling with so much to do.
Last edited by Big Bad Baz on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

Oil loss: Do you have a 1.2 Petrol? If so, then demand that your dealer look at it, if not find another that will. There is a known problem with some 1.2 engines which will get you a software fix first if not, either a replacement engine block, or replaced piston rings. Small thread on this forum, but VERY large thread on the Qashqai owners club about it.

As for the fob, the fob on my QQ went, but I was warned on screen. Swapped out and wasn't a problem after that. As for locking, if your in a jam, remove the key from the fob and lock it manually. Not great but at least you know your car is secure. You get 2 fobs with the car, have you tried swapping them around to see if its just the 1 fob that's gone faulty?

To be honest, sounds as though your dealer is a bit of a lemon giving you fob-offs all the time, probably worth consulting with a different one.
keithbrown53

Post by keithbrown53 »

Is it worth swapping the battery in the key itself?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

For Big,bad Baz, i owned the 1.2 litre petrol Pulsar for 18 months during which time it consumed a GALLON of oil. It had an intermittent problem of four metallic clicks coming from the engine block under acceleration or up steep hills,these clicks were followed by a big cloud of light brown smoke coming out of the exhaust!. It went to the local Nissan main dealers THREE TIMES who couldn't or weren't willing to find out the cause of the oil 'loss'. Nissan UK were also made aware of this issue and told me to keep driving it if the dealer can't find a fault code. All well and good while the car is under warranty but once out of warranty i could end up paying for a new engine so i've got rid and bought the digt 190 version with its' engine lifted from the Nismo Juke,early days yet but so far so good. That one problem with the 1.2 engine spoiled an otherwise brilliant motor.