My new Pulsar not for keeping.

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
Dave_S

Post by Dave_S »

Puslar 1.6 DIg-T Tekna

I mentioned these issues on the forum, a few weeks ago, when I first bought the Pulsar new.

Now 1500 miles later, the disappointment has reached the point, when I really do think the Pulsar has to go, and have started looking at alternatives.

We are just back from 500 mile round trip from Suffolk, to and around the Peak District, which was not an enjoyable journey in the Pulsar.

Because the ride is so uncomfortably hard, you are constantly aware of every imperfection in the road, which jostles your body up and down, and I'm not talking about pot-holes, just minor undulations.

To add to this, there is a very annoying high pitched whine, which I think is transmission related, and occurs at cruising speed, and above when under load. Take your foot of 'the gas', and it stops. So annoying at speed, on the motorway etc, we had to put the radio on, so we couldn't here the whine.

The car has its plus points, because it well specd, and comfortable to sit in (when its not moving). Also the 190 bhp engine, is very responsive, with plenty of 'oomph'. However, this is overshadowed by the uncomfortable ride, and annoying transmission whine.

Without doubt, it is the most uncomfortable, ride of any car I have owned, and my goodness I have had a few, including a new car every three years since 1990.

Having had two X-Trails, followed by two Qashqais, I had up until now, been totally happy with Nissan vehicles, and hence stayed a loyal customer.

Unless I go back to a Qashqai, which I would be happy to do if I could get the right deal, Nissan will be losing a loyal customer.

BTW, I heard 'from the horse's mouth' that Nissan are ceasing production of the Pulsar, as it never really attracted the interest they had hoped for.

Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

I am quite surprised. Done 800 miles in mine now and love it compared to the Qashqai! Saying that, it is a completely different car compared to the X-Trail and Qashqai which have a lot more suspension travel as well as being soft. I personally prefer the stiffer suspension as I still like to chuck a car around but its personal taste.

The 190 does not have much ride height, but with that sportier 1.6 engine, its also firmed up. I would not point the finger at Nissan, just that this particular car type no longer suites your driving 'style or requirements'.

As for the transmission noise. Yep, I hear it to, think its final drive related as it appears around 35-45mph all the time, no matter what gear you are in, or if the clutch is engaged or not. Saying that, the gearbox is much quieter compared to the one bolted onto the 1.2 DIG-S Micra which is a whiney bugger once you start winding up the speed!!

Not sure where you read about the production of the Pulsar coming to an end, but if your source and info turn out to be true, then I'm not surprised based on what I was hearing from dealers when I was trying to get hold of a new 1.6 DIG-T a month ago. None of them really wanted to give me a price or commit on a build date!

As for the Qashqai, they are about to release a new model, so getting your hands on the outgoing model might get you a really good deal as dealers try and clear out the older stock, but on the flip side the price of the Pulsar may suddenly dive a bit if Nissan are going to exit the C-class market again!! I would advise you to steer clear of the 1.2DIG-T engine if you do find one. Had nothing but trouble with mine and although initially I through it was a reasonable engine, after owning of for 3 years I learnt that to get it to move you needed to floor it and give it some beans to get anywhere. The 1.6 DIG-T in the Pulsar just takes it in its stride!
Dave_S

Post by Dave_S »

I think your N-Tec will have the 17" wheels, and higher profile tyres than the Tekna, which has 18 wheels, which of course doesn't help the ride.

When I test drove the Pulsar, the dealer only had the 1.2 N-Connecta, and I can't say that I noticed it being a particularly hard ride. What I did notice was that after the 1.6 Dci Qashqai, the 1.2 Pulsar felt very sluggish in comparison, there was no real bite from the engine. Assuming that the 1.6 would be pretty much the same car. but with a bigger engine, I ordered one. However, they are very different cars, in terms of suspension, and this is not mentioned in the brochure. Realistically, the Dig-T 190 Tekna should have been given a Gti or ST badge, to indicate it was that sort a car, as it is definitely a standard 'family hatch'.

It is, as you say, the car, and not Nissan that I am disappointed with. The car, with the 1.6 engine, Tekna spec, softer suspension, and no transmission whine would be a nice motor, and I would be quite happy to keep it. Unfortunately, that isn't the case.

My wife says, that our recent 500 mile round trip in the Pulsar, was the most uncomfortable car journey, she can ever remember taking.

Just weeks old, and around 1500 miles on the clock, part ex'ing it is going to be financially very painful, but its no good keeping a car that I am not happy with.

BTW, the cessation of production news, came straight from Nissan customer services.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

True, the profiles will help, but in all honesty there wont be much in it.

Regardless, its a shame you have to move on so soon after getting it, but regardless of reasons, if you are not happy, you are not happy and best cutting your losses sooner rather than later.