Space saver spare wheel

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
YORKIE

Post by YORKIE »

I am looking to buy a 17" space saver spare wheel for my Pulsar Tekna 1.2petrol. I have checked on line and the only ones I can find are 16" they say it will fit all pulsars but I am a bit wary of running, however short the distance with 3 17" and 1 16" wheel on the car, can any one point me in the direction of a supplier that has 17" ones, also will I need different nuts as the spare wheel rims are steel and mine are alloys.

danielk

Post by danielk »

16 inch steel pulsar wheels here
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

I share your concerns, Yorkie- how can it possibly be ok to run a car with different wheel sizes. I think it’s just a case of Nissan have made these emergency spares as an afterthought, and couldn’t care less about anyone not running on 16” ones.
Metalmickey

Post by Metalmickey »

The car is safe to drive up to a max of 50mph (80kph) for a short distance. ie to a garage to replace/repair the damaged tyre.
The fact that the spare wheel is smaller will not affect the car longterm otherwise the car manufacturers would be leaving themselves open to damage claims.
The only issue would be running with a wheel too small for the car ie I would not run 14" spare wheel on car with 18" wheels, but 16" spare wheel would be fine.
I have run a car with a 16" wheels with a 14" space saver spare for couple days with no issues.
Just don't travel over the max speed quoted on the space saver wheel.
You should have been given 4 wheel nuts for use on steel rims when you brought the car unless it was a private seller who forgot to give you them.
Maybe purchase a 17" alloy as a spare but I don't know if it would fit in the wheel well.
The 16" space saver wheel does.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I purchased a space saver spare from Nissan and there were no wheel nuts with that. I'm assuming the standard nuts will be OK. A number of previous cars have also had space savers and none of those had different nuts either.
Metalmickey

Post by Metalmickey »

I got 4 standard nuts with the car, most likely replaced by the locking wheel nuts on the car.
jerrybear

Post by jerrybear »

i see Amazon are selling a space saver wheel for £144.00 incl p/p plus jack etc,os thia a good deal.says the wheel is suitable for 16/17/18 wheels,seems reasonable a price,anybody have any thoughts
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Not a bad price. Just make sure it has the correct number of stud holes as space saver wheels come in 4 and 5 hole versions.
Metalmickey

Post by Metalmickey »

Does that include the tyre as well.
gezt

Post by gezt »

16 inch on 1.6 teckna, £99 OFF EBAY CAME WITH TYRE ON, NOT NEW BUT NEAR AS, got 18 inch wheels on, as said it a get you to nearest garage or home. It's ok but stay under 50 mph, if lucky it comes with Jack and wheelbase if not cheap enough to get.
Take that polystyrene stuff out of boot including the tyre filler stuff and wheel should fit in ok.