Tyre rotation

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
StuGee

Post by StuGee »

My rear tyres are running thin on tread, one has been plugged too. The front tyres are new but are cheap Chinese things. I want to swap the fronts for the rears and get new decent tyres fitted to the front. Does the tpms recognise the change automatically? Or do they have to be calibrated?

fujikun

Post by fujikun »

hi stu, when I bought my car the front tyres were goosed. garage fitted two new tyres to the front, on picking the car up there were no lights or anything so presumably the tpms was ok. The garage fitted Chinese tyres, DORUN L919. like you I was very sceptical. but I have to say they've won me over and I always have good tyres fitted. I gave them a chance and they've performed well in wet conditions too ive driven through torrential rain and road holding on corners etc is good. my rear tyres are original, and at first I was going to change the lot as I like same tyres on each corner. but now that the doruns have impressed I am going to buy another two. ill put the new ones on the front .anyway just to say try the tyres out first . The doruns have impressed me, havnt checked the price yet though but I think will be reasonable.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

sorry its durun l1919, but I am having trouble finding any stockists, the garage I bought the car at is 40 miles away so I am not running back there.
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

There’s an old saying that any new tyre is ok. I’ve got a couple of real cheapos on my front wheels, which have performed well in blizzard and torrential rain conditions .
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

StuGee wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:29 pm Does the tpms recognise the change automatically? Or do they have to be calibrated?
Yes they should. however I have a few people have reported that they sometimes need a re-program.

From prior experiance, mine have always swapped over automatically after a few miles.
StuGee

Post by StuGee »

Thanks. It's sorted itself out.

I wasn't going to chip in with my views on elcheepo tyres, but.....

I had a vibration at around 70mph, and, given the state of the twice repaired (conti) rear tyre, I assumed the source was easy to establish. However, just to remove doubt, I requested the cheapos be balanced too. Well, turns out one is miles off being round and therefore is clearly the source of the vibration. It's a hilo brand tyre, so I suppose the clue is in the name!
StuGee

Post by StuGee »

And now the car feels ten times better, the two cheap tyres and the two badly worn contis are history. My brief but nonetheless memorable experience with budget tyres is over.
Rivendell63

Post by Rivendell63 »

So what did you end up with ?
I've just got 4 Rotalla black n round things on mine as my two front Uniroyal were down to 3 mm after about 17k n 2 years of driving. Let's see how these ones last ....
StuGee

Post by StuGee »

I went with khumo ecsta ps71's. First time I've fitted these but it's all I could get that day. I do 17k a year and with rotating, I can usually get 18 months to 2 years out of a set (usually toyo proxes). We'll see how they get on. They feel fine. MPG is very slightly down though. Probably down to the fact they actually grip, which is probably a good thing in terms of evading death.