Pulsar 1.2 engine replacement

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Raniafouad

Post by Raniafouad »

I am new to this forum. I have just purchased pulsar 1.2 Dig-t N-Tec 2015 less then 3 months ago and have had quite a few issues with it. I have taken it back to the dealer and have been told they will be replacing the engine under the extended warranty. I'm obviously not very happy but also very confused with mixed opinions about that.i would really appreciate some advise. Is this issue limited to models betweena2015-16? Can I return the car back as I have only done less then 1k mile as per the their exchange back promice and if so what about later models 2018?

janjim3

Post by janjim3 »

No real help from me other than to say that I purchased the same model and year as yourself on August 4th this year without doing any research first. Had I carried out some research then I doubt very much that I would have chosen a Pulsar......although I have to say that mine has been ( touch wood ) trouble free. When I purchased there was 20,544 miles on the clock and the previous owner was registered disabled so I guess that it had not been 'thrashed', I myself have driven in excess of 2,500 miles in it and in spite of all the doom and gloom stories regarding oil consumption have only topped up around 750 ml which has put me over the max mark on the dip stick. My only problem so far has been the petrol consumption which on average since 4th August has been 39 m.p.g which is very disappointing as my previous car was a diesel Peugeot 1.6 turbo which was comfortably returning 45 m.p.g. I chose the Pulsar mainly because of the spacious interior offered however, I no longer believe what the salesman from the Nissan dealership told me when we informed him that we drive to Spain once a year and cover around 3,500 miles we needed assurance that the car would be o.k considering the relatively small engine size to which he replied that there was absolutely no reason to doubt the integrity of the engine!! Personally, I am constantly worrying about the stories that are circulating regarding these engines, thankfully, like yourself, I have a years warranty on my Pulsar so am crossing my fingers that all will be o.k. I sincerely wish you good luck with your new engine and think that it is bloody disgusting that if this is indeed a 'known fault' then how can these dealerships justify continuing to sell them...…….can I see my Pulsar reaching the 142Kmiles that my Peugeot covered?...………. I don't think so.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

I had this issue with my 1.2 Qashqai and there is plenty of threads on here, Qashqai and Juke forums.

I ended up trading my qashqai in for a Pulsar as due to the cars history, Nissan were the only ones willing to give reasonable market value. The older the car is, the less it will become an issue though.

I traded mine in after 2 further issues. 1: A further oil leak through the oil pressure sender 2: Air con went faulty (it was a known issue with Qashqai's having a condenser issue, but in my mind, the engine swap must have disturbed something to cause a leak)

Unfortunately you don’t have an automatic right to return the car for refund as the seller has a right to offer a repair first. However the issue was with the early generation of engine, and it would appear only a small subset of engines were affected by the issue, some more apparent than others.

You should find out what sort of replacement you are getting as it generally won’t be a complete engine swap. Nissan were pushing replacement piston rings only at one point but for my Qashqai I pushed for a replacement short block (bottom half, so block + pistons + crank) which was approved. I believe if the engine is trashed due to running with no or too little oil then a full swap maybe needed due to other issues.

Also, if you do have a short block replacement, you should tell the DVLA to update the engine block code on the V5 for the car so there is no future complications.

If however the person who is doing the work is competent, then there should be no issues and this should cure the oil drinking problem, but you will need to keep an eye on it for a few months (keep in mind that the engine under tray will mask an external oil leak for a while) to ensure there are no issues from the rebuild.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

janjim3 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 pm I myself have driven in excess of 2,500 miles in it and in spite of all the doom and gloom stories regarding oil consumption have only topped up around 750 ml which has put me over the max mark on the dip stick.
Assuming the oil was at max when you got it, and you've only done 2,500 miles, I would think having to top up with 3/4 litre of oil is excessive. I haven't had to top up oil on any car between services for many years.
janjim3

Post by janjim3 »

Difficult one this for two reasons, 1: I have a sloping drive where I checked the oil level ( yes I know )!! 2: I actually over filled cos the oil was too bloody clear...…...unlike my previous diesel which was black and easy to see!!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

janjim3 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:23 am Difficult one this for two reasons, 1: I have a sloping drive where I checked the oil level ( yes I know )!! 2: I actually over filled cos the oil was too bloody clear...…...unlike my previous diesel which was black and easy to see!!
Fair enough. :lol:
janjim3

Post by janjim3 »

Well it has happened, we have made our trip to Spain and with 266 miles left to travel our 2015 1.2 dig-t died on a motorway showing a stop\start system fault on screen. I will not go into the stress and trouble that we experienced as a result of this however in spite of the fact that we have a 12 month Cared4 warranty from Motorline Nissan at Tunbridge Wells we have had no satisfaction. The 'breakdown' occurred Wednesday !st May and eventually a Grua (break down truck) arrived, took our pulsar to his yard and delivered it to a Nissan dealer in Teruel Spain the following morning. We went in there only to find that no English was spoken ( It is Spain after all :D ) so with the assistance of the R.A.C European cover (based in France) and part of the cared4 policy, we left the car for diagnosis and went on our way to our destination in a hire car supplied by the R.A.C. We heard nothing for a week and last Thursday we had a call from the R.A.C. stating that the engine was effectively written off (no details given) at this point I have to say that I checked engine oil levels throughout the journey and all was fine, This so called 'Cared4 Warranty' is a joke, Motorline Nissan at Tunbridge Wells are not at all interested in fact have been quite rude in response to our request for assistance and telling us to contact the warranty people and the R.A.C as it has nothing to do with them in spite of the fact that they sold the bloody thing to us.
This saga is ongoing, we still do not know what the Rude warranty people intend to do although they have suggested that we pay and they will reimburse later...…..REALLY!! The only saving grace has been the R.A.C. who are currently looking at our warranty and will be contacting the warranty people in order to attempt to establish a solution to our predicament i.e. we need to get back home to the U.K. ( we drive because we take our little dog ) Is the car to be repaired in Spain or the U.K. Who the hell is responsible for assisting us...… The original salesman told us no problem driving to Spain with our Cared4 Warranty you are covered for all eventualities. I just hope that his parents do not suffer a similar situation to ours ( my wife and myself are both 70 and I have a heart problem ). This 'holiday' has been one that we shall never forget. THANKS A LOT NISSAN, wait 'til we get home and come in to see you PERSONALLY. I will do my best to lose them as many customers as possible for the rest of my life.
Last edited by janjim3 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Go straight to the top at Nissan and contact the MD. I did that when I was getting the runaround over map updates and it was resolved very quickly.
You were sold the warranty through a Nissan dealership so they shouldn't be washing their hands of it, and saying it's not their problem. Primary responsibility is with the warranty company and you may wish to consult a solicitor when you get back to the UK. I don't know the T&C of the warranty so can't say whether or not you will have a valid claim against them.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

its ridiculous isn't it, I ve found out with experience that all warranty policies and insurances are a joke, they take your cash then look for ways to not pay out. their all the same.
now I have house and car insurance only, because I have too. save your cash and don't buy any is best.