Brake pads

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
gezt

Post by gezt »

Had car in for warranty work (dash saying system fault traction control warning light they say the cause was low brake fluid ) the also did their safety check and are saying pads are 70% worn, it's only done 20,000 miles , everytime they get the car they tell me this rubbish. Robbing gets.

kt53

Post by kt53 »

Mine was serviced a couple of weeks ago with 19,000 miles and the report for mine showed 60% remaining on brake pads. Are you particularly heavy footed on the brakes?
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

30k I would say was about right for a set of pads... however your mileage may vary depending upon how you use them....

Mostly motorway driving..... you will get more miles out of some parts compared to town/spirited driving which requires more braking....

In theory, having an auto could also decrease the life of pads slightly, especialy if you allow your car to creap forward whilst still applying the brakes.
StuGee

Post by StuGee »

I just did mine at 25k. Probably had 5k left in them. New pads feel much more grippy than the stock ones. Mine were noisy too, which is now cured.
gezt

Post by gezt »

Not heavy footed,
Car was serviced in Feb allegedly 50% wear on pads
Battery changed in April 70% wear on pads
Warranty job Don 6 November 70% wear
When I asked for explanation I was told they were advisory and they hadn't actually checked them.
Just after more money.
Deleted User 667

When they give you an answer of % worn, then ask for how much pad material is left in mm.

I would suggest take a peak yourself, not all that difficult through the wheels with a torch. The inner pad is a little more difficult bit possible without removing the wheel if you can be inventive with a mirror! I tend to find inner pads ware quicker on single piston calipers (granted, not by much, if there is a large difference then something could be wrong) so keep this in mind if you are only looking at the outer pad.

If you are not confident, then take a look at one of these 'free brake check' places for a 2nd opinion.

The following image/link will give you an idea of where you stand. I belive 1.5mm or less is a MOT fail but you should be replacing before this anyway!

Image stolen from here: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/ho ... ryl-knight

Update: Just re-read your last post..... that is very poor show from the dealer and I would be sticking in a complaint!
gezt

Post by gezt »

Had it checked at Halfords who usually service my cars, nothing wrong with pads or tyres.
Only one more warranty service to go with any updates needed then they won't see the car again.
Finchburger

Post by Finchburger »

You could wait and change them altogether in three future. I'm thinking about upgrading my 1.2 to the larger brakes like on the 1.6 when they are due. Does anyone know if these would have to replace calipers etc also? I would assume so since circumference and shapes would differ.
Anyone done this or similar?
My brakes squeaked all last year 😡 but perfect other than that. Flew thru it's 4yr major and MOT thankfully.
2014 1.2 Dig-t Tekna
Steelmate reverse sensors
LED full beams
Deleted User 667

ARe you sure the 1.6 has larger discs?

If that is true, then disk, caliper + carrier + either a modifiction or replacment to the disc guard.

Oh, and telling the insurance company :)
Finchburger

Post by Finchburger »

296mm V's 280mm as per AutoDoc app. See attached file.

Collage 2018-11-18 17_51_13-picsay.jpg

2014 1.2 Dig-t Tekna
Steelmate reverse sensors
LED full beams