'Whoosh' sound when accelerating/changing gear?

New to the Nissan Pulsar Forums? Introduce yourself here
RPJ

Post by RPJ »

Re: Nissan Pulsar 1.2 DiG-T Visia

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and would be grateful if I could ask a question please, which is a technical one. Last week I bought a Pulsar to replace my trusty 2003 Almera which had served me well, and to date I have been very pleased with my Pulsar. Although there has been one thing which has been bugging me for the last week or so and I would like to know the answer, if only to put my mind at rest.

When I change up through the gears, mainly from third to fifth and sometimes into sixth gear, the car makes a noise, which I can only describe as a ‘whoosh’ sound. I'm no expert and it only appears to happens in the higher gears when I’m accelerating. I hear it when I push in the clutch pedal to change gear. I think it’s the clutch but it could also be coming from the engine compartment, sorry not to be clear. It sounds like a release of pressure and being as I believe the car has a turbo I was wondering if it could be related to that?

Anyway, I was hoping that someone could confirm that this noise is ‘normal’ and that I have nothing to worry about it. As long as I know it’s meant to make this sound I can then hopefully ignore it and get used to the sound over time.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

uamade

Post by uamade »

Hello RPJ,

Welcome on the board :). Personally I have CVT Xtronic gearbox so I can't really comment on the sound you are describing. However I was testing a manual version of Pulsar and I do not remember any whoosh sounds especially when pressing on clutch.

Maybe you are mistakenly thinking that the sound of turbo is the whoosh sound? It sounds in a special way when accelerating, but it should not be linked to clutch pedal in any way.

In any case, since you have a warranty for the car you can simply go to a nearest Nissan dealer and show this problem to them. They are quite helpful and they should locate the reason of the sound very quickly.
--
hope for the best, plan for the worst
Steve95

Post by Steve95 »

Dump valve when you lift off the accelerator
RaceworX

Post by RaceworX »

Its the recirculation valve releasing excess pressure back into inlet pre turbo. in very basic terms when you let off the accelerator the throttle closes and pressure from the turbo can build up and stall the turbo.. the valve opens when you let off the throttle and lets this excess pressure go somewhere.
Ronnieronson

Post by Ronnieronson »

Sorry to thread hijack, but I've just bought a dig-t 190, and I'm trying to find the recirculating valve in the engine bay so I can swap it for a gfb dumpvalve- can anyone help?
RaceworX

Post by RaceworX »

under the engine cover.

that's a forge dump valve direct replacment