Engine Rattle At 2000rpm.

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Unhappy Bunny.

Post by Unhappy Bunny. »

67 plate Pulsar, owned for just over a year (done 6000 miles since I got it) 18,000 total miles, 1.2 petrol turbo engine.

Fine when I bought it then noticed general rattling with window down but a louder brief rattle at 2,000rpm under load in first and possibly second gear too.

At Nissan at the moment after MOT garage told me it was coming from engine and not from a loose exhaust or heat shield as I initially assumed it was.

Checked oil a couple of days before it went in, from cold and not been driven for over two weeks since driving it home from MOT and it was on the low marker. Ran engine up to temperature then left for a while (as per instruction manual) and couldn't get an accurate reading, as if oil was dripping onto dipstick and it showed way over the full marker. Left the oil as it was and told Nissan about this.

They confirmed it was low on oil, possible poor grade oil was used at last service, possible timing chain issue, possible terminal engine problem and may need a brand new one.

Hold my hands up, totally my fault as to a missed service due this August as I wasn't aware these engines require servicing yearly, new one on me. Last one done by previous owner but no details avaliable (I tried by contacting the car supermarket I got it from last November).

Nissan say £10,000 as a rough guess to what a new engine will cost, coincidentally same as I paid for the car in the first place.

Did pay for an extended third party warranty but given the situation Nissan said they're worried they won't pay out.

In the middle of a nightmare right now. Any ideas on WTF do I next if the worse case scenario comes about and I'm left with driving the car away from Nissan with this engine problem unresolved?

kt53

Post by kt53 »

Extended warranties generally require that servicing is done in accordance with manufacturer requirements. As you have missed a service you will fall at the first hurdle. Every car I've ever had has stated servicing annually or after x thousand miles, whichever comes first.
Unhappy Bunny.

Post by Unhappy Bunny. »

First privately owned car I've had in a long time. First warranty I've had and the first engine issue like this I've ever experienced too.

Before this one I had a Fiat Punto, that was many years ago and serviced it myself at around 5000 mile intervals as my own general (old school?) understanding based on mileage rather than timescales.

I was assured this car had a full service history (which it has on file at car supermarket) but not one stamp in the book otherwise I'd have been aware and got it done in August.

As I didn't know and didn't think it was the engine I left it until the MOT. Told them about the rattle and thought while they were under it they could check for something less serious. They confirmed it was the engine itself hence the situation I put myself in now.

Appreciate the reply and it seems an expensive lesson to learn the hard way. My fear has been confirmed I guess. Not had any updates or know for sure what the decision will be, sure I'll know this week sometime, I'm not optimistic about the outcome.

For now it's worse case scenario thoughts of owning £10,000 worth of scrap metal, just wondering what I do next to try and sort it out? Another garage that may actually look inside the engine to evaluate damage (if any) instead of wanting to just stick a new one in?

Maybe I'll look for an oil leak, fresh oil, filter,etc, keep an eye on oil level. After that just run it until it goes pop, cry and then scrap it anyway? 🤔
kt53

Post by kt53 »

If you use Facebook I'd recommend joining the Nissan Pulsar C13 Owner Club group. Most of the people who used to be on here have migrated to FB. They are knowledgeable and helpful.
Unhappy Bunny.

Post by Unhappy Bunny. »

kt53 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:13 pm If you use Facebook I'd recommend joining the Nissan Pulsar C13 Owner Club group. Most of the people who used to be on here have migrated to FB. They are knowledgeable and helpful.
Thanks for at least replying @kt53, it's appreciated.

Since my last post they said either a new engine that I have to pay for at around £8-10,000. Not gonna and can't afford to pay that.

Where I am now looks like I'm already paying £500 up to now for them to investigate. Gonna be about another £500 for them to put it back together, plus other costs to end up with the engine no different to when it went in except it'll have been filled back up with oil.

Looks like it's plan B of keeping the oil topped up, no motorway driving, keep it going until total failure then scrap it. Not much more to be said or any other options from here on in I suppose.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

No problems Unhappy Bunny. I have plenty time on my hands so just check in here occasionally. No hardship to point people to a group which may be able to help. As has been said on the FB group, it's concerning that you are experiencing these problems with a 67 plate car. Most feedback seems to suggest that the issue was with engines built up to 65 reg. Maybe yours had been sitting in the back of a building somewhere. Sorry to hear of your problems as they are basically very nice cars, with their own peculiarities.
Unhappy Bunny.

Post by Unhappy Bunny. »

Nissan offered a reconditioned engine since the last post. Said it could take a couple of months to get and costs around £5,000, I declined.

After their 'diagnosis' (basically confirming my initial suspicions by listening to the rattle) I just told Nissan to top up the two litres of oil and leave it at that so only cost £120 in the end.

Your suggestion of joining the Pulsar Owners group has been great. I've received various advice, causes, possible solutions to consider going forward. Will look into it after Christmas and new year is out of the way.

For now I'm lucky enough to have access to another family members car (Juke coincidently) so using the Pulsar sparingly and keeping an eye on the oil consumption. Thanks again for your help kt53. 👍