LED vs foglight DRL change

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
shawnrossvidal

Post by shawnrossvidal »

Hi there, I've recently got my '16 Pulsar 1.2 and love it apart from a coupe of small niggles.

One of these is the fact that the standard DRLs are the halogen bulbs in the foglight enclosure, not in fact the LED strips around the headlights, which are activated by the sidelights. Interestingly, this is the opposite to a German spec Pulsar I drove as a rental over there, which has the LEDs as DRLs and the halogen foglights as sidelights - likely due to the Euro regulations vs UK ones around DRLs etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on changing these around, as I much prefer the look of the LEDs as DRLs and I'm getting annoyed with changing between auto lights and sidelights and changing the brightness of all the cabin screens!

I was wondering if it would be a simple switch swap, or if its actually anything more technical? Any help would be great! If not, I'll take it back to Nissan and see what they have to say!

Thanks!
Shawn

Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 »

I agree it would look better . Not sure how long these bubs last or how to change them yourself as the manual section on bulbs skips the DRL and refers it to authorised repair centre. I have tried looking but it seems they are behind the bumper with no access from the rear.

while it maybe a relatively easy, Insurers may look upon it as modifications and decline a claim should one arise in future. I have heard that they are taking a tough line on HID conversions.

On the instruments lights, you can set it to whatever brightness you like; set it with side lights off and again with lights on . The factory setting is full brightness on both modes, I backed off the brightness for the night driving.
Silversurfer21

Post by Silversurfer21 »

I have asked my dealer to replace the DRL/foglight bulbs with LED bulbs. Will see if that has been possible or not when I collect the car tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Silversurfer21

Post by Silversurfer21 »

OK - The fog lights have Nissan specific bulbs so switching these for LED bulbs is a non starter. Will now investigate dedicated led lights such as the Phillips.
1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Liam

Post by Liam »

Someone in this forum previously stated the fog lamp bulb is H11, I too would like to look into the possibility of changing them horrible yellow lamps.

Could do with number plate bulbs changing to LED too, can't find anything about bulb type anywhere though...
CTBull

Post by CTBull »

Are these the DRL bulbs being discussed? Anyone tried them? The halogens look terrible compared to the LED headlamps.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/phili ... d-fog-lamp

These should be the number plate bulbs:

http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/produc ... Bulbs/R501 according to the website below:

http://www.ringautomotive.com/bulb-find ... 14+-+&l=uk
Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 »

I think the issue is what type of bulbs these DRL use . Could a Nissan Technician tell us how to access these and if they are unique to Nissan ( I somehow doubt a car manufacturer would go to that lengths).
Silversurfer21

Post by Silversurfer21 »

Finally managed to replace the existing fog/DRL lights with the Osram LEDFOG 101 combined fog and drl led units.

http://www.osram.co.uk/osram_uk/product ... /index.jsp

I am very happy with the final outccome as the outer edge of each light is a LED DRL which goes off when you switch the lights on. The centre is an LED fog light. You do need a Nissan specific fixing kit which is LEDFOG101-NIS-M - EAN 4052899274518.

Fitting was beyond me so the dealer sorted this for me as part of my car purchase deal.

P1000500.JPG

1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Liam

Post by Liam »

That looks great! Much better than the standard yellows ones!

Would love to do it but wish they weren't so expensive! And plus my car is a lease so I doubt they'd let me :(
Silversurfer21

Post by Silversurfer21 »

Thanks Liam. They took some finding and I did think twice about the price but at least i did not have to pay for them to be fitted.
1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze