battery saver timer

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

Hi, just got my 2015 ntec last week, and its great, exactly what i wanted for the family. i spend a bit of sitting time in the car though when my kids are at swimming early morning training, and the radio switches itself off after ten mins. you have to press ignition again to get it back on.
we also have a juke nconnecta, and it does the same but the radio stays on for 30 mins, i cant find a way past this in the book. anyone have any idea if i can turn this timer off?

Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

There is no way to prevent the sleep timer unfortunatialy.

Although you can prevent it actualy going off by quickly activating an indicator which cancels the timer. I think after a couple of times it will ignore you and go off anyway!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

You can press the on/off button on the radio and it will switch back on twice, giving total of 30 minutes without having to press Stop/Start. Why they don't just allow the radio to play for 30 minutes is anybody's guess. I wasn't aware of the trick with the indicators.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

hi, can you explain a bit clearer, i did that this morning but to no avail.
so when the engine is stopped, i have no ignition light but radio is on, are you saying press radio on/off once and the radio stays on for 30 mins?
kt53

Post by kt53 »

No. When you switch the engine off the radio will carry on playing for 10 minutes, as long as you don't open the driver's door. When the radio switches off, pressing the on'off button on the radio puts it back on for another 10 minutes. Repeat next time and it gives 30 minutes in total. After that you need to Stop/Start to get the radio going again. I can see absolutely no logic in the way it's set up. If you have to press a button why can't you just do it for an unlimited number of times? I can't imagine it's that great a drain on the battery.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

ok ky53 thanks for that, ill try tomorrow morning . yeah its strange, other cars ive had can use radio couple of hours no bother, like you i dont think it makes much difference.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

ky53s advice is good, little more research shows that the stop start system needs the battery on a certain amount of power to work, it must measure the battery, so if you stop at traffic lights and the battery is below a certain level of power the stop start will not initiate. i always switch mine off anyway as i find it a pain. but that would make sense of the radio cutting out after 10 mins to save battery power.
my car is an ntec which i wanted for the satnav , i wonder if the acenta or visia models without the stop start have the 10 min radio cut off?
kt53

Post by kt53 »

The satnav info is way out of date. Information for the latest release was collected in the first quarter of 2017 and you will only get free update as long as the car is serviced by Nissan and is within warranty. After that it will cost about £100 per update. Total ripoff when you consider you can get standalone satnav for under £100 with lifetime updates which come out every couple of months.
I've heard the statement about battery requiring a certain level of charge for Stop/Start to operate before but although the theory makes sense I'm not convinced it works in practice. On cold winter mornings with lights and aircon on it will often kick in within the first mile. Warmer days with no lights and no aircon it can take several miles before it works. Guy at our local dealership basically said it's a rubbish system and more often than not just fails to operate at all.
fujikun

Post by fujikun »

yeah i think its a crap system too,i do like the sat nav though, if you know where to look you can get the upgrades elsewhere. but ive had a few nissans now and i find the connect navigation ok. i wouldnt pay nissans prices either.
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

My satnav is ok , although it has had it’s moments. I won’t be updating it, unless the update is free.