GA15DE N15 | Trouble aligning the input shaft with the clutch spline

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Sharft 6

Post by Sharft 6 »

I thought I'd have a go at replacing a clutch and everything up until remounting the gearbox has been a walk in the park. But now I've spent a week fumbling around with the gearbox and it's starting to do my head in.

The gearbox is on top of a piece of wood bolted to a trolley jack on top of a creeper. So i can move it any which way I want on the spot.

I can get the input shaft past the pressure plate fingers but only just. There is still quite a long way to go before I can line up the input shaft with the middle of the clutch. But there is something stopping the gearbox from coming forward. I can see the engine move if I drag the gearbox forward so It's some point of contact between the gearbox and engine. Has anybody done this before or would have any advice. I've even thought of using the angle grinder but given I'm still so far away from aligning the clutch with the input shaft, I'd need to do a lot of grinding. I'll try pretty much anything at this point so all advice is appreciated.

EDIT: Actually I think I just realised what I need to do while I was in the shower. I need put the rear output shaft on a jack and leave it on the lowest setting. Then pickup the bell housing and align the input shaft with the clutch. Push it in until the bell housing meets the doweling, then jack up the rear end until the doweling lines up and bolt it in. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Sharft 6

Post by Sharft 6 »

No the align input shaft and then jack up the rear to pivot the box into place idea isn't going to work because the bell housing gasket sticks out at the bottom. I spent another few hours trying whole lot of angles tonight but I'm stumped. I think the I'm going to have to split the gearbox one way or another. I see two ways of doing it. Either loosening the right side axle housing. Hopefully that will give me enough room to position things and hopefully I can tighten the bolts when it's in place. Or removing the left side that attaches to the input shaft. That should allow me to bolt up the bell housing and then push the input shaft through the middle without having to contend with the rest of the gearbox.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

Hi,
This forum is for the C13 Pulsar, which has no real relation to the older N15 and N16 Pulsar/Almera's.

What I can recommend that you take a look at the forum: https://almeraownersclub.com/ which focuses on the N15/N16.
danielk

Post by danielk »

Sounds like the input shaft in hitting the clutch dish
Have u tryed a clutch alinement tool??
Sharft 6

Post by Sharft 6 »

Ah thanks for pointing me in the right direction SplanK.

Yes that's right, the input shaft is hitting the clutch dish. I have used an alignment tool which still slips in and out no problem indicating correct alignment. The problem is getting the input shaft far enough forward to slip in. I can't even get it far enough forward to fit the bellhousing over the flywheel. Although I have got it pretty close.

I have created a new thread over at Almera forums.
https://almeraownersclub.com/threads/ga ... ine.51777/
Sharft 6

Post by Sharft 6 »

I eventually worked it out and posted the solution here https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/8- ... e?start=10