Headlamp bulb.

Problems using the forum - post here. Not Car Related.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Hello everybody - I have a 65 reg Pulsar with halogen headlamps, does anyone know if it is possible to change the dipped beam bulb myself. The manual is very vague on this one, saying to refer to No 5 in the diagram - there is no No 5. The diagram only shows how to change the main beam bulb. Can anyone help? Maximus.

Swe

Post by Swe »

Same procedure as head light, just twist the socket and pull out.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Thanks Swe, I'll give it a go. I used to have a Nissan note, changing the bulbs on that I found fiddly enough, but I managed.So here goes nothing then!
Swe

Post by Swe »

I live in dark Sweden, so for me max intense light is important. After testing different bulbs, I can only recommend Philips H11 xtreme vision for your Pulsar. Expensive but worth the money.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Thanks for the tip about the Phillips H11bulbs, Swe. That's why I wanted to know how to get the bulbs out so I can up-grade. I live in Wales and is dark by 4:00 pm in Winter. As you say expensive, about £40 for a pair here in the U.K. But I shall splash out and get some.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I don't know anything about the different types of headlight bulbs but did see this about changes to the MOT.

"Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that."

I don't know if the bulbs you are planning to fit will be affected.
maximus

Post by maximus »

HID's (high intensity discharge) as you know are bad enough on cars fitted with them from new as standard equipment as far as dazzling oncoming traffic goes.
Let alone putting them in headlamps that are not designed to take them in the first place. So yes I agree that they should be an MOT fail.
I will be fitting upgraded but standard type bulbs that give off a whiter light that I find better on the dark and gloomy rainy nights we get here in the UK in the winter time.
I have been fitting these on my cars for some year's now and have never been flashed by oncoming traffic.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Thanks for the clarification maximus. I'm happy with my headlights as they are after my previous Ford Focus where the dip beam didn't seem to penetrate more than about 20 yards ahead of the car.