Start/Stop failure, amber Engine Management light permanently on

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
sersit

Post by sersit »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to describe a problem I had recently with Start/Stop system and how I sorted it out.

After about 3-5 min of driving Start/Stop system disengages saying System Failure. It clears when you switch engine off and on again, but then after same time it disengages again. After it happened twice Engine Management light came on and stayed on permanently even when I switched engine off and on. Every time I started the car Start/Stop system failure happened 3-5 after. Otherwise car behaved absolutely fine, maybe slightly higher fuel consumption but only about 10%.

I went to local mechanic who said that its old battery and its very common problem. We changed the battery, but start/stop failed again within the same time frame. Clearing EM light didn't help, it came on again after two failures of start/stop system.

Engine code reader showed Oxygen sensor 2 bank 1 failure and Oxygen sensor 2 bank 1 heater failure (sorry I didn't right down actual codes). He disconnected pre-catalytic converter oxygen sensor (it can be accessed from the bonnet, to the left of the oil cap) and read the codes again. Now another error appeared - Oxygen sensor 1 bank 1, so we figured that the actual error came from post-cat sensor, which sits on the exhaust pipe under the car. I crawled under the car and disconnected oxygen sensor to test it with a multi-meter and it showed open circuit on all 4 pins, whereas it should have had few Ohms resistance between one of the pairs of pins. Everything pointed at faulty post-cat oxygen sensor.

I went to a local garage, they said they could only supply original sensor from Nissan (cost £144; I also saw non-original cheap ones online, costing £55). I agreed, they ordered and fitted it, cleared error codes and the problem was solved. No issues with Start/Stop ever since. EM light was cleared as well

Hope it would help someone.

Cheers

Nairda

Post by Nairda »

I have same problem; amber light came on a few weeks ago and a friend who has an ODM scanner read the code - faulty rear O2 sensor. No problem with engine running or funny smells, etc. ( from catalytic converters). Cleared the code to see if light came back on but it didn’t straight away. Booked into Nissan main dealer a week or so later who said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Following day engine warning light came on again and this time Eco stop/start failure message as well.
Took to local garage who confirmed error code was the same - faulty rear O2 sensor. Mechanic said only OEM part could be used so booked in for replacement - will let you know outcome. Car is 6 years old but only done 36,000 miles.
Psychoman67

Post by Psychoman67 »

Hi guys.

I just thought I'd come on this forum for something else and noticed this post.

I've had this problem too, for the past month.

The engine warning light is continuously on and stop/start flashing in the bottom corner of the dash display.
There are absolutely no problems driving the car, it runs absolutely fine.
The only problem is System Failure is displayed and I cannot set the speed limit or use the cruise control. It's only a gimmick on the car anyway.

I was going to get it diagnosed, but it would have cost me £70 and then the repair, but I decided to have a service as it was due one and the car was driving fine with the stop/start flashing, so saving money.
I'll get it done next year when my funds permit.

When I had the service, they noted this and I told them to ignore it. They said it's a common problem with many different makes.
It's only a gimmick of the car anyway. But they said the battery can cause this, but they checked the battery and it was fine.

Anyway, in the 7 years, I've had it, it's only worked a handful of times. So I don't miss it.

Tony
Nairda

Post by Nairda »

Quick update from me. Garage replaced post cat lambda (O2) sensor yesterday and cleared amber ems fault warning. Auto stop/start now working fine. New oem sensor supplied and fitted for approx £116 by local garage.
Psychoman67

Post by Psychoman67 »

Cheers.

It's good to know.
Pinter.nix

Post by Pinter.nix »

Hi, it's two things but relate to the same thing, the engine management light. Two months ago the light came on, the performance and fuel economy weren't effect and no expensive noise. Rather than using the dealership (it was out of warranty) I took it to a local garage I had used before. They put the scanner on it and it was an O2 sensor, I know I should have asked. The light has reappeared again nothing noticeable and no black smoke or egg smell.
It's going to have to go back to the garage but I wanted to be armed with some information. I've been looking for an scanner and thought after some research found a Adcel AD310 OBD2 scanner. I'm getting mixed messages about if it's the correct one for the Nissan Pulsar 2017 petrol auto.

Nissan Pulsar OBD2.jpg